High pH, TA and adding MA.

Mar 30, 2008
Irmo, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone. We have 15'x26'x52" AGP. 200 sq. ft. cartridge filter, two speed 2.5 hp pump (running on the low speed). Our pool likes to "hover" around 7.8 to 8.0 on pH and around 130 for TA. I can use muriatic acid to bring the pH and TA down, but unless I add it every couple days it seems like the pH and TA like to ride at the higher numbers. We tend to add muriatic acid in the morning and our bleach at night. TC and FC stay in between 3 and 5. The pool is crystal clear and does not bother our skin or eyes. We keep our pump on 24/7 on low because we love the way the pool looks and the fact we have no algea problems (not yet anyway).

So I have three questions for this post:
1. How long after adding muriatic acid do we have to wait before we can swim?
2. How long do we have to wait before we can add the bleach?
3. Am I worrying about nothing with the pH and TA levels where they are?

Test results with Taylor Test Kit:
TC= 3.0
FC= 3.0
CC= 0.0
TA= 130
pH= 8.0
CYA= 45

Thanks, Calvin.

Crazycalvin said:
Hello everyone. We have 15'x26'x52" AGP. 200 sq. ft. cartridge filter, two speed 2.5 hp pump (running on the low speed). Our pool likes to "hover" around 7.8 to 8.0 on pH and around 130 for TA. I can use muriatic acid to bring the pH and TA down, but unless I add it every couple days it seems like the pH and TA like to ride at the higher numbers. We tend to add muriatic acid in the morning and our bleach at night. TC and FC stay in between 3 and 5. The pool is crystal clear and does not bother our skin or eyes. We keep our pump on 24/7 on low because we love the way the pool looks and the fact we have no algea problems (not yet anyway).

So I have three questions for this post:
1. How long after adding muriatic acid do we have to wait before we can swim?
2. How long do we have to wait before we can add the bleach?
3. Am I worrying about nothing with the pH and TA levels where they are?

Test results with Taylor Test Kit:
TC= 3.0
FC= 3.0
CC= 0.0
TA= 130
pH= 8.0
CYA= 45

Thanks, Calvin.

Calvin,

1. You can swim roughly an hour after the muriatic...just give it time to mix
2. Bleach and muriatic can be simultaneous
3. I would suggest you lower your T/A to about 80 or so through aeration (read how up in "pool school")
That may well slow your pH rise. 7.8-8.0 is high but not quite over the limit so keep swimming but lowering that T/a just might fine tune it and help you hold the pH down a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.