Greetings From SoCal

Sep 5, 2013
Hi Everybody - wanted to introduce myself as I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions. I have a new IG spa that we installed as part of a total backyard makeover (cabana with double sided stone fireplace outdoor kitchen, etc...). I was the 'pool boy' for our family pool back in the late '70s/early '80s, but haven't given any of this much thought in the past 35+ years. While some things haven't changed much (DE filters seem pretty much the same), a lot has changed - pool chemistry is a whole bunch more complicated (I used to pretty much pour jugs of hydrochloric acid and chlorine into the pool weekly), valves magically move by themselves, electronic control systems, and SWGs!

I fired the pool guy after about 1 month, and plan to go it pretty much alone. Waiting for my Taylor testing kit to arrive today.

Thanks in advance for your patience and help :)

Brian

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like you are off to a good start.

You know, the pool chemistry we recommend is a whole heck of a lot closer to the recommendations from many years/decades ago than it is to the current pool store recommendations. They will try to sell you all kinds of potions and elixirs while we get back to the basics of hydrochloric acid (muriatic) and chlorine (bleach). Although we recommend a little more testing and dosing than it sounds like you did in the past ;)