kathyo

May 24, 2011
Farmers Branch, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool is 10 years old. It came with a Ray Vac cleaner. That worked ok for 4 years then needed repairs. We paid the money and got another 2 years out of it. We then replaced it with a Hayward Phantom (adding the booster pump at that same time). This worked very well with no problems - I just replaced the bag once a year. It was able to keep the pool clean running about an hour a day. But now it is just going in small circles. I'm waiting for a repair estimate and thought I'd investigate alternatives. We have 3 very old, very large pecan trees in the back yard. So every spring we have a lot of pecan tassels and every fall we have an incredible amount of leaves. In addition, we have pecans and worse, pecan fragments that the squirrels drop into the pool from above while they eat. So I need something with good pickup. The repairman (while he was taking my Phantom into the shop for the estimate) suggested a Polaris 280. I've read all kinds of different reviews and opinions but decided to come to the experts. My pool has been so much better since I stopped going to Leslie's and found your site a few years ago.

The 280 has been the workhorse for a long time, I work in the pool service industry, and in my opinion the 280 does require a bit more maintenance, bearings(c60), and large wheels(c6), they might need turbine bearings(c80) and a drive shaft(c86), those are all the polaris part numbers. I am a fan of the 380, downfall of the 380 is the small throat to collect debris. But I do see less 380's come in for repair. I do like the 3900 by polaris if you want to spend some money. Check there website, polaris was offering rebates but that may be over now. Depending on the amount of debris that your pool collects you might consider doing a robotic cleaner, large initial investment, but you can eliminate a booster pump, and save money in the long run. If you want check out the 9300, 9300xi, or the 9400.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.