Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So do you all shower before entering your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

So do you all shower before entering your pool?

I heard on the news that the biggest contaminant to be concerned about is E. coli. So showering, if properly done, should take care of most of that, right?

I shower, personally, but my daughter and her friends laughed when I made that request. So what's the consensus?
    24x32 feet, In-ground, Saltwater, Gunite pool (under construction)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So do you all shower before entering your pool?

Ideally everyone would shower ... in reality no one does. I am bad sometimes and jump right in after getting all dirty and sweaty working outside

Keep proper FC levels based on your CYA and you will be fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Same here

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

I remember as a kid at swim lessons we would have to shower but it was not the type of shower that would remove any type of e-coli. It was more like...stand under this cold A?? water while you watch your friends jump in the pool. Sometimes the pool is the only shower I get....
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a nephew that used to not shower all summer ... he figured that he swam enough to not need too
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought the pool was to wash off the stuff you pick up while mowing the lawn and picking up dog "dirt". LOL

That's my favorite time to get in the pool. It cools me off like nothing else.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

So I'm not the only one on "poop patrol"? That is a daily chore with our small yard.

While it's not a proper shower, I do try to at least run a wet washcloth over the more "contaminated areas" before getting into the pool.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Charlie, you are a dignified man I must say.

You can come swim in my pool anytime, but bring your own wash cloth.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1
    I remember as a kid at swim lessons we would have to shower but it was not the type of shower that would remove any type of e-coli. It was more like...stand under this cold A?? water while you watch your friends jump in the pool. Sometimes the pool is the only shower I get....
    When I was a kid, the neighborhood pool had a "shower before you get in" policy, but it was loosely enforced... all you needed to do was duck through the shower for a second or two so that your hair got a little wet, and they'd be ok with it.

--Michael
    Slidell, Louisiana (near New Orleans) 11,000gal kidney shaped Trilogy fiberglass pool Intelliflo VS Triton TR100 filter Easytouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG Polaris 280

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Ideally everyone would shower ... in reality no one does. I am bad sometimes and jump right in after getting all dirty and sweaty working outside

Keep proper FC levels based on your CYA and you will be fine.
    I worked on the hard today and I was so tempted. But, I was working on my pond and who knows what mess is growing in it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    That's my favorite time to get in the pool. It cools me off like nothing else.
    Yup. This right here.
    ~15.3K gal, IG plaster c.2006, Hayward 1.5 HP 2-speed, 425 sqft cartridge filter, 1 skimmer, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

I rember going to Germany in 1977 and staying at a Holiday Inn , they had a big indoor pool in the basement.
    And there was a attendant that watched you take a shower and put on a bathing cap.. What a drag!!!!
    When we wipped out a frisby they went ballastic !!!
    Kicked us out of the pool !!!!
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

My dog, despite repeated requests, never showers before entering the pool. If she ain't doin' it, I ain't doin' it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

I understand some northern European countries are pretty militant about showering before you get in the pool and spread around the e. coli love. I just use the hose if I've been working in the yard.

8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    My dog, despite repeated requests, never showers before entering the pool. If she ain't doin' it, I ain't doin' it.
    I actually gave my dog a bath before he went in.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

My dog would bite me if I tried that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

I have never seen anyone shower before getting into a privately owned pool. Ever.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    My dog would bite me if I tried that.
    The bath or the swim? Hahahaha

19. Back To Top    #19

When I was a kid we had to shower before swim lessons at the public pool. The lifeguard would rub the inside of your elbow with his/her thumb. If she rubbed off dirt, we were sent back to the shower. ugh.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

20. Back To Top    #20

The need for showering is mostly for higher bather-load commercial/public pools. It's not about the E.coli since the bacteria is killed very quickly by chlorine. The issue is all the sweat, fecal matter and dirt contamination that creates chlorine demand and creates chlorinated disinfection by-products. A clean person going into a pool may require around 4 grams of chlorine for every person-hour they are in the pool. Someone who has not showered could require double that amount of chlorine or even more and if they bring in dirt then that creates more trihalomethanes (THMs), haloacetic acids (HAAs) and MX. So not showering increases the amount of chlorine needed and its associated cost and increases the disinfection by-products. There is also the increased risk of transmitting protozoan oocysts for Giardia if one does not wipe oneself well so has fecal matter (Cryptosporidium is more associated with diarrhea).

For residential pools, the bather-load is typically very low so the dilution effect from the relatively large volume of water per person makes the difference between showering and not showering less noticeable. It's probably wise to at least rinse off one's feet to prevent bringing in dirt into the water since that is the greatest source of the most mutagenic disinfection by-products (such as MX).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast