Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 6-way test strips

1. Back To Top    #1

6-way test strips

I was told by the company who put my pool in to use 6-way test strips but I read on your site those aren't good. I'm confused. Thanks.
    NOVICE!! 16K gals, sand, IG vinyl, SWG, installed 7/13

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 6-way test strips

Welcome to TFP!

Pool builders and installers just aren't very good at taking care of pools. The strips are not accurate enough for more than a rough idea of your water chemistry. The drop-based kits use clear color changes and drop counts to determine levels for most water paramaters.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Yup. Get one of the Recommended Test Kits and you will always know EXACTLY what is going on in your pool.

Have you started reading through Pool School yet?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have read through pool school and I appreciate it greatly. I am a severe pool novice. I was looking at the test kits but I wasn't sure if I needed the same thing for SWGs? Thanks so much.

5. Back To Top    #5

Same test kit ... your pool is still a chlorine pool.

You just may want to consider adding a salt test ... the drop based is generally more accurate than the strips.

And the TF-100 is certainly the better value.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I was a pool novice last year when I put in a new pool. Thanks to this site I feel very confident in caring for my pool. Read pool school several times and you will soon feel comfortable in taking care of your pool and know exactly what is going on. Good luck and welcome aboard.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all so much. I will reread pool school and continue to read up on everything and buy a test kit. I appreciate it.

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to tfp, dolwig

The only thing you might want to add for a swg pool in addition to the tf-100 is either the aquacheck salt strips (probably good enough) or the Taylor drop based salt test (K-1766).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Does having a Pentair Intellichlor alter any of this?

10. Back To Top    #10

No. Why would it? All SWG systems work the same.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I have no idea why it would make a difference; didn't know that they were all the same.

12. Back To Top    #12

I guess I just thought the Intellichlor told you how much salt is in the pool; didn't think you had to test for it? Thanks.

13. Back To Top    #13

I believe it does, but there are times that you may want confirmation if the intellichlor is not working, or indicting a low/high salt reading. Swg salt readings can easily go out of calibration.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

14. Back To Top    #14

Always good to have an independent test for salt. One sign of the SWG getting dirty and/or starting to go bad at the ends of its life is when it starts to read lower salt levels than reality.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

thanks!