Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing question

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing question

Hi-
    I have been BBB all summer. I have been able to use liquid, sometimes lithium, and some pucks. I did put a nature2 in at opening but am using the chlorine/cya ratio not what the nature2 recommends. My ph has not changed much (7.5-7.6) this whole summer never having to add anything for it!
    TA is around 225(high in fill water). never much luck bringing down so haven't tried this year
    CH 250
    cya 60
    fc 10
    use tp-100
    i went to the pool store to sign up for the blow out to close. was given the sheet to follow for adding closing chemicals.

Scale inhibitor
    Banish
    Natural Result and pool tonic

Been reading up on these and here realizing not needed but wondered since i had put the nature 2 in does that change additions to close?

Thanks
    IG 24,000 vinyl lined
    18x36
    sand filter
    chlorinator
    automatic cover with no fence

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing question

The Nature 2 should not change the closing recommendations you find in Pool School ... although why are you continuing to add metal to your pool anyway?

"pool tonic" ... really?!?! ... I can just picture the guy on the corner "Git ur pool tonic here ... greatest chemical known to man ... you would be a fool to be without ur pool tonic!!!!"
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Skip all three pool store suggestions, since you do not need more copper in your pool (Banish), your pool is vinyl and relatively low in CH (Scale inhibitor), and who knows what junk is in the "Natural Result and pool tonic" .

Here is the pool school article on closing a igp, only chlorine and polyquat60 algaecide are recommended: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...in_ground_pool
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!
    The nature2 was put in before i understood its "purpose" !
    It used to be suggested to use algae all 60, not sure why they changed to Banish suggestion.
    IG 24,000 vinyl lined
    18x36
    sand filter
    chlorinator

5. Back To Top    #5

another question... I have bottles of the bioguard back up, didnt use this year. Can i use that instead of the polyquat 60?
    IG 24,000 vinyl lined
    18x36
    sand filter
    chlorinator

6. Back To Top    #6

You can use whatever you want ... we can't stop you ... we just may not recommend it and it may not be as effective
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

That appears to be
    Alkyl dimethylbenzylammonium chloride
    from this msds.

There is a thread on that type of algaecide here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/polyq...de-t18101.html
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ah, that is much better info than my snarky comment
    Jason, TFP Moderator