Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would this indicate the need to shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Would this indicate the need to shock?

If I don't run the polaris for 3 or 4 days my pool becomes as clear as clean glass. If I run the polaris for two days in a row the pool develops and slightly turbid look - it's still clear, but not as clear as it was before running the cleaner. The color is good and the test results look good:

FC 4.0
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    TA 40
    CYA 35

There is a small area (maybe 2" wide X 3" tall) between the overflow and the underwater light fixture and has a black growth that looks like black mold. It is in a spot the polaris cannot reach. The material wipes off easy with my finger tips and I don't see any discoloration anywhere else.

I have 1 micron filter bags attached to each pool return and they normally do a wonderful job of keeping the pool absolutely crystal clear. However, I have been running the polaris for five days eight hours per day and the pool is still slightly turbid. I assume the turbidity is caused by the polaris stirring up small particles that have settled to the bottom and sides of the pool and the bags should have cleaned them up by now unless something is growing in the water.

We had 25 first and second graders swim in the pool three weeks ago and the mothers slathered up all the kids with sun tan lotion. By the time they left the water was very turbid (could not see the main drain) and there was a visible scum on the surface. I thought I cleared all that mess up, but maybe it could still be causing problems?

What do you think. Should I shock the pool or just wait longer to see if it clears up on it's own? I would appreciate any suggestions.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Would this indicate the need to shock?

I would probably raise the FC up to SLAM level and do OCLT (with the chlorinator off) tonight. It does sound like you may be fighting algae.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    I would probably raise the FC up to SLAM level and do OCLT (with the chlorinator off) tonight. It does sound like you may be fighting algae.
    Just saying that I agree w/linen's post.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by stev32k
    ...There is a small area (maybe 2" wide X 3" tall) between the overflow and the underwater light fixture and has a black growth that looks like black mold. It is in a spot the polaris cannot reach. The material wipes off easy with my finger tips and I don't see any discoloration anywhere else.

... I assume the turbidity is caused by the polaris stirring up small particles that have settled to the bottom and sides of the pool and the bags should have cleaned them up by now unless something is growing in the water...
    The 2 statements above are the ones that I'd be concerned about. when you wipe the black material, does it have a greenish tint? If so, it is likely black algae. Make sure you keep brushing/wiping it while you slam.

Also, since it is near the underwater light fixture, I'd turn the breaker off and check behind that light just in case there's algae lurking there, too.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex