Closing with water in the 70's....

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I know all the threads on here tout keeping the pool open until the water is in the 60's. But because I have so many trees around and over my pool, I need to be covered very soon. I'm scooping out leaves 2-3 times a day and the filter basket is constantly filling up and clogging.

Right now my temp is 81 (had a heat wave lasting until tonight). This weekend is supposed to have lows in the high 40's/low 50's so I'm thinking the water will be mid-low 70's next week when I want to close. My cover will be installed sometime next week. I'll know what day tomorrow when the pool store calls me.

What should I do? I could close the pool, but then keep adding chlorine until water is cold enough. Or keep pool open and covered with the looploc- and try closing the pool with the cover on. Not sure if I can loosen enough of the cover to plug each hole. The leaves are killing me. Or SLAM, drop water level and keep water circulating on the bottom drain while covered. I can pull out the Polaris and when the temp drops to 60, shut 'er down, blow out the lines and plug them.

zimm said:
Or SLAM, drop water level and keep water circulating on the bottom drain while covered. I can pull out the Polaris and when the temp drops to 60, shut 'er down, blow out the lines and plug them.

I'm not experience with inground pools but this seems like the best way to go.

Also, I've never used one myself, but they do make leaf nets that extend over the length of the pool. I have an above ground and similar issues with leaves, but the solar cover keeps them mostly out of the skimmer basket, particularly because I raise an edge of the cover over the skimmer opening, over the top rail and put a bleach bottle there to weigh it down. The other thing I've been pondering is maybe putting the winter cover on early, but not actually closing the pool until a month or whatever later. The cover will gather all of the leaves, and it is easy enough to loosen, pull back and then add bleach as needed. Once the temp drops low enough, I can simply raise to shock, circulate, then drain down the 4-6 inches I need. With an inground, I suspect closing and getting the pipes clear of water is a bit more complicated.

zimm said:
I could do that. Any idea on how much polyquat for 17k gallons? I can't find a winterizing dose recommendation anywhere on the forum.
Don't quote me but I seem to remember the winterizing dose was the same as the startup dose which is listed on the label. Didn't help you much I know. I have a gallon at home, I'll read the label if nobody answers you first.

DorsalSpine said:
zimm said:
I could do that. Any idea on how much polyquat for 17k gallons? I can't find a winterizing dose recommendation anywhere on the forum.
Don't quote me but I seem to remember the winterizing dose was the same as the startup dose which is listed on the label. Didn't help you much I know. I have a gallon at home, I'll read the label if nobody answers you first.

That is what the Pool School articles say ... use the start-up dose according to the package.

Funny I was thinking about doing the same thing because of leaves and was just about to post a thread. Just putting the loop lock on and adding chlorine/run filter a few hours as needed until the temp gets bellow 60. I also figured it save on chlorine as even though its a mesh cover it still will cut sun exposure way down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.