Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH doesn't go down?

1. Back To Top    #1

PH doesn't go down?

Hello for a while now my PH has always been at 7.8. I have been adding 14.5 muriatic acid to reduce but I never see any noticible change. I use the tf100 test kit and pool calculator to determine amount to add. For instance in Tue I tested and PH was at 7.8. I added 68ounces of muriatic acid according to pool calculator and when I tested Wednesday morning PH was still 7.8. Do I need a stonger acid? I'm I adding too little?
    Inground kidney plaster pool 30x17 with hayward superstar clear cartridge filter system, sta-rite max-e-pro 2 hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH doesn't go down?

You need to test about an hour after you make the adjustment to make sure it hit the target. If it didn't then dose again until it does.
    What is your TA?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TA is usually at 90
    Inground kidney plaster pool 30x17 with hayward superstar clear cartridge filter system, sta-rite max-e-pro 2 hp pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

The amount you added should have lowered it to around 7.2 ... are you sure the pH was not above 8.2 to start? Just keep adding more until you get it to lower to where you want it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have a high level of borates (greater than 30 ppm)?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not adding borates so I have never measured

7. Back To Top    #7

If you haven't purposefully added borates, then you can assume it is close to 0 ppm. I was asking since borates also buffer ph changes like TA does.

How are you testing for ph?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't see a volume here... 30X17 could be a lot of water. What was the FC when you tested?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Is your TA going down when you add acid?

Are you adding bicarb to raise your TA?

New plaster can raise pH.

Can you post all test results?