Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter storage for 20ft Intex AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter storage for 20ft Intex AGP

I'm getting ready to break my pool down for the winter. Does anyone know what size deck box or storage box I will need to purchase to hold my liner? I have an Intex 20x48 ultra metal frame. It will be stored in my garage which is not really climate controlled.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter storage for 20ft Intex AGP

I use a clam shell cargo carrier for my 15" Intex pool. A deck box would work but it might not be a good seal. You could use duct tape around all the gaps. If it is not sealed mice may get in and eat holes in the pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just a thought/question...why are you taking it down?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm in St. Louis and they are predicting a cold winter. Plus I really want to redo the ground work for next year. This was my first year having a pool, and I want to make some tweaks. Othewise I probably would just try to winterise it.

5. Back To Top    #5

That is a good reason to take it down...I just asked since many folks around here (mn) leave intex frame style pools up over the winter with success.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Another option, maybe not as elegant it wrap the pool in a tarp, burrito style, and then use rope to bundle it. I would not want to buy a box to store it in for one winter.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Why not? The box can be used after for other items that are sure to be needing storage, like floats, toys etc.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

yup, I agree and the tarp could be used under the pool, as is common with Intex style pools. Lot's of options!
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd really rather store the liner in a closed container. I have read many posts where people had mice eat holes in the liner when it wasn't stored properly. I guess I will have to wait until it's down and folded up to see what size container to get. I can always do some old fashioned measuring. lol

10. Back To Top    #10

I would think that the pool would last longer if it is taken down each year. For my pool it is 8 months less in the sun each year.

11. Back To Top    #11

Mice, I didn't think about that....good reasoning for sure.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem