Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winterizing/Shock Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Winterizing/Shock Levels

I don't have any algae issues in the pool and want to close/Winterize on Saturday. Can I just raise the chlorine up to shock level the day that I am closing the pool or does the shock level need to be maintained for several days prior to closing???

Also, if my CYA is at 40 - where should I be in terms of shock level? The Chlorine/CYA chart shows I should be at 16. Is that an adequate level for closing for the entire Winter as well as undertaking the SLAM process?

16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Winterizing/Shock Levels

Shock level is fine, provided the water is cold enough. Algae growth (and thus FC consumption) plummet when the water gets cold, which is why we recommend waiting until the water temp is below 60 before closing.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry