Sep 11, 2013
PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
hi everyone,

I am a bran new pool owner. my pool has a hayward extreme cartridge filter. 52 inches high 18 feet accross i do have a solar cover any thoughts on a solar pill ? I know nothing about pools except you swim in them any info would be helpful
i am here to learn all i can

thanks

The solar pills have been shown not to work in the real world. Any wind at all and the alcohol gets moved to one side and becomes ineffective.

Your pool holds about 7,000 gallons.

A good place to start learning about your pool is by reading "The ABC's of Pool Chemistry" article in pool school. Once you've read that several times come back and ask anything you don't understand.

careingemt said:
what is swg
SWG=Salt Water Generator, sometimes also referred to as Salt Water Chlorine Generator. This device generates chlorine from salt and is a component of "salt water" pools. I'm assuming from your post that your pool is manually chlorinated and, if so, the SWG does not apply to your pool.

careingemt said:
not sure how to use the pool calculator
Pool Calculator
  1. Enter the pool volume estimate at the top of the page of the calculator[/*:m:1q8u4i12]
  2. Go to the Suggested Goal Levels section towards the bottom of the color-banded sections and select one of the options from the three drop-down lists. For the Use suggested goal levels from I would select either Traditional Pool or TroubleFreePool.com. For Primary source of chlorine select Bleach (this is what we recommend for long-term chlorination). For Pool surface select Vinyl (with AG pool, assuming your liner is vinyl).[/*:m:1q8u4i12]
  3. For each of the parameters (e.g., FC, pH, TA, etc.) enter your current test results in the left column (the Now column).[/*:m:1q8u4i12]
  4. For each parameter, you will see Goal levels immediately above the Now and Target entries. These Goal levels are based on the options you selected in step 2.[/*:m:1q8u4i12]
  5. For each parameter, enter the Target (or desired) level in the right column. For example, if your FC = 2 and you want it to be 4, enter a 4 in the Target column for FC. [/*:m:1q8u4i12]
  6. To the right of the target column, the calculator will tell you how much chemical to add to reach the desired target level.[/*:m:1q8u4i12]

careingemt said:
what is old stock
Literally, an old sock like a gym sock or similar. Pour the granules into the sock, tie the sock at the top, and place the sock containing the granules either in front of a return line or place into the skimmer. If you place in front of a return line, you can use either an old bleach bottle filled with water, sand, or pea gravel (the handle provides a convenient place to hang the sock from) or tie it off on a piece of sturdy patio furniture. The granules will dissolve within a few days or so.

First problem ... please help

when i got home from work today.... i found my pump makes a humming sound no water flow almost like a stick is jammed in the motor also at the end of the motor it has a cap protecting all the wires on this cap it has 2 screw in plugs one is missing so i pluged it so no rain will get into the motor ... any ideas what my problem could be

pump problem .... please help

when i got home from work today.... i found my pump makes a humming sound no water flow almost like a stick is jammed in the motor also at the end of the motor it has a cap protecting all the wires on this cap it has 2 screw in plugs one is missing so i pluged it so no rain will get into the motor ... any ideas what my problem could be

MOD EDIT: Threads merged. Please keep related questions in one thread. It will help us be aware of the "big picture."
Smykowski

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mod post. I merged the one relevant post and deleted the other duplicate thread as there was no relevant help there. Please do not create duplicate posts/threads. Thanks, jblizzle

I'm sorry ... when I went to see if I had any replies to my post it appeared to be deleted I thought I did something wrong so I re posted I'm new here I realized it was not deleted sorry