Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie here

1. Back To Top    #1

newbie here

hi everyone,

I am a bran new pool owner. my pool has a hayward extreme cartridge filter. 52 inches high 18 feet accross i do have a solar cover any thoughts on a solar pill ? I know nothing about pools except you swim in them any info would be helpful
    i am here to learn all i can

thanks
    AG 18 feet accross 52" high pool wall 7000 gallons .... pool math = 7600
    Hayward extreme cartridge filter 100sq feet
    pool is heated by propane Hayward heater
    pool installed aug 12 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: newbie here

how many gallons is it i have heard several numbers

3. Back To Top    #3

The solar pills have been shown not to work in the real world. Any wind at all and the alcohol gets moved to one side and becomes ineffective.

Your pool holds about 7,000 gallons.

A good place to start learning about your pool is by reading "The ABC's of Pool Chemistry" article in pool school. Once you've read that several times come back and ask anything you don't understand.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

i was told by a pool store... not to add stablizer for this year is this okto do i will be closing my pool in one week

5. Back To Top    #5

Forget the pool store. Add your CYA by using an old sock filled with the CYA granules and tied off in front of a running return.

For how much to add, go to http://www.poolcalculator.com
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

what is swg ... not sure how to use the pool calculator ... what is old stock

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by careingemt
    what is swg
    SWG=Salt Water Generator, sometimes also referred to as Salt Water Chlorine Generator. This device generates chlorine from salt and is a component of "salt water" pools. I'm assuming from your post that your pool is manually chlorinated and, if so, the SWG does not apply to your pool.

not sure how to use the pool calculator
    Pool Calculator
    1. Enter the pool volume estimate at the top of the page of the calculator[/*:m:1q8u4i12]
    2. Go to the Suggested Goal Levels section towards the bottom of the color-banded sections and select one of the options from the three drop-down lists. For the Use suggested goal levels from I would select either Traditional Pool or TroubleFreePool.com. For Primary source of chlorine select Bleach (this is what we recommend for long-term chlorination). For Pool surface select Vinyl (with AG pool, assuming your liner is vinyl).[/*:m:1q8u4i12]
    3. For each of the parameters (e.g., FC, pH, TA, etc.) enter your current test results in the left column (the Now column).[/*:m:1q8u4i12]
    4. For each parameter, you will see Goal levels immediately above the Now and Target entries. These Goal levels are based on the options you selected in step 2.[/*:m:1q8u4i12]
    5. For each parameter, enter the Target (or desired) level in the right column. For example, if your FC = 2 and you want it to be 4, enter a 4 in the Target column for FC. [/*:m:1q8u4i12]
    6. To the right of the target column, the calculator will tell you how much chemical to add to reach the desired target level.[/*:m:1q8u4i12]

what is old stock
    Literally, an old sock like a gym sock or similar. Pour the granules into the sock, tie the sock at the top, and place the sock containing the granules either in front of a return line or place into the skimmer. If you place in front of a return line, you can use either an old bleach bottle filled with water, sand, or pea gravel (the handle provides a convenient place to hang the sock from) or tie it off on a piece of sturdy patio furniture. The granules will dissolve within a few days or so.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

First problem ... please help

when i got home from work today.... i found my pump makes a humming sound no water flow almost like a stick is jammed in the motor also at the end of the motor it has a cap protecting all the wires on this cap it has 2 screw in plugs one is missing so i pluged it so no rain will get into the motor ... any ideas what my problem could be

9. Back To Top    #9

pump problem .... please help

when i got home from work today.... i found my pump makes a humming sound no water flow almost like a stick is jammed in the motor also at the end of the motor it has a cap protecting all the wires on this cap it has 2 screw in plugs one is missing so i pluged it so no rain will get into the motor ... any ideas what my problem could be

MOD EDIT: Threads merged. Please keep related questions in one thread. It will help us be aware of the "big picture."
    Smykowski

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: pump problem .... please help

If the shaft will turn by hand, it sounds like a bad start capacitor. Haven't done one myself, but they seem like an easy fix. Search the forum and you'll find lots of threads.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to TFP.

I see you pump question got answered, and you may get some more today. Enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: pump problem ... please help

Can you post a picture of your pump. Maybe a close up of the name plate and what your talking about. It maybe the start capacitor. That should be an easy fix.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

13. Back To Top    #13

Mod post. I merged the one relevant post and deleted the other duplicate thread as there was no relevant help there. Please do not create duplicate posts/threads. Thanks, jblizzle
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm sorry ... when I went to see if I had any replies to my post it appeared to be deleted I thought I did something wrong so I re posted I'm new here I realized it was not deleted sorry

15. Back To Top    #15

No worries, just helps to keep your story all together.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Per smys question above, does the shaft turn freely? You may have to take that back cover off to try this. Make sure the breaker to the pump is off when you do.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

17. Back To Top    #17

Took off cover ... yes it does turn freely

18. Back To Top    #18

Often when the shaft turns freely, but the pump hums and does not start, it is likely either the start capacitor or the centrifugal switch.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks everyone