Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining my pool

i'm going to drain my pool to change out my hydrostatic valve. I wanted to make sure with you all, how long can the pool stay empty. My pool guy told me that it didn't matter since I have a hydrostatic valve. is that correct? Anything else I should know before I drain it??
    Massachusetts - 30,000 Gallons, Inground, Gunite, Hayward Salt Water Generator, T-15 Cell, Hayward C3030 Cartridge Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining my pool

I spent a long time working for a concrete contractor and have seen level ground do some crazy things to concrete, so I'm a believer. In that vein, I would try to drain when it is dry and not keep it drained for long. There is a reason PBs leave holes when they gunite. Risk may be slight but cost of failure is high.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't leave it empty any longer than necessary. Not because of the floating issue. It's not good for the plaster for it to sit dry for too long.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you have the pool built?
    My contract states for my warranty to hold I can't keep it empty for more than 1 day for maintenance.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

5. Back To Top    #5

Bump
    Massachusetts - 30,000 Gallons, Inground, Gunite, Hayward Salt Water Generator, T-15 Cell, Hayward C3030 Cartridge Filter.