Pump Question

May 24, 2012
Dallas, TX
I came home the other day and noticed the pool pump was off. The pump is a 1 HP Centurion. I checked all the switches and electrical...everything was okay. I started to take apart to pump to check if the impeller was moveable, but when I touched the motor it was HOTTER than heck (hot enough that when water dripped on it steam rose). Anyways, the impeller does not move. I assume the motor is seized...is this correct?
Also, if I were to buy a new pump, do I need to get the same HP, voltage, etc.?

Centurion is the name of the motor, not the pump. I know, they should put the name on the pump. :hammer:

If you can read the nameplate of the motor you can probably just replace the motor. You need to match the SFHP (service factor x Horsepower) the frame size and the voltage. I.E. if you have a 1 hp motor with a service factor of 1.15 you have 1.15 SFHP. So if you found a 3/4 hp with a service factor of 1.5, it would work.

I'd suggest looking at 2-speed motors while you're looking.

Cool...thanks for the advice. Here's a pic of the nameplate:
pump.jpg

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 37
Note here that most 2 speed motors are 240V only, where the single speed you have is 120 or 240V, so if you plan to switch to a 2 speed you need to make sure yours is currently wired 240V, or you need to make provisions to have 240V ran to the pump.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.