Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting cloudy

So, yesterday I noticed my water was a little cloudy. Today, a little worse. My test shows:

FC: 5 Just used last 2 tablets, will be switching to liquid bleach now
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 80
    CYA: out of titrant, so I'm not sure
    CH: 0

pH was at 7.2 yesterday, so I put a box of Borax in, which should have raised it to 7.5, but today, it's 7.2 again. We also got a very light rain shower yesterday afternoon. I know the TA being low can cause the pH to jump around, but can the low TA also cause the cloudiness, or is it something else?

Also, I just put new timer trippers on 2 or 3 weeks ago, and have the pump running from about 6:30am-7:30pm. 13 hours. High temps have been in the mid to upper 90's for several weeks now.
    20000 gal inground vinyl liner, HTH 6 Way test with Taylor FAS-DPD for CL, Dolphin DX4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting cloudy

Sounds like you're about to bloom some Algae. Getting cloudy first is a classic sign. Get some Bleach in there Pronto. I would target the FC for your last CYA, plus a little. See if your pH will rise on it's own for now.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

are we talking SLAM here, or just adding a gallon?
    20000 gal inground vinyl liner, HTH 6 Way test with Taylor FAS-DPD for CL, Dolphin DX4 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

What was your last CYA level, and where has your FC been lately? Also, are you sure about the CH at zero?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

5. Back To Top    #5

last cya was 110, so I drained about 1/4 of the water and replaced. haven't checked since. CH is 0, it's a vinyl liner pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, I MIGHT have enough DPD powder to do 2 more tests. How bad will this be if I wait for more to come in, which would probably be next week some time.

7. Back To Top    #7

You need to correctly test the CYA (possibly replace water) and then SLAM the pool correctly.

Order the CYA and FAS-DPD refills ASAP.

One 121oz bottle of 8.25% bleach will add 4ppm to the pool ... do that every day and you may hold things from getting too much worse until you can test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

UGH! CYA is at 120! Partial draining has begun. I would guess I'm gonna have to do a partial drain and refill 2-3 times in order to not remove so much water that the liner starts pulling away. Is that right?

9. Back To Top    #9

Generally we say as long as you leave 1 foot of water in the shallow end, you should be fine ... assuming your ground water level is not very high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

So, yesterday I drained about a foot of water and refilled. It didn't seem to do anything to reduce the CYA level. Today, I drained again. This time, down to where there was about 16" of water left. Now I'm refilling, about 30 minutes in, and notice the liner is wrinkled in one corner. Will this straighten out on it's own or did I do something wrong?

11. Back To Top    #11

Depends on what the wrinkle looks like I think. Can you kick/push it back in place?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

They're easily moved, liner just seems to be loose in the corner. A couple of corners, actually.

13. Back To Top    #13

Good deal on that one.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

14. Back To Top    #14

You think it'll straighten out on it's own, then?

15. Back To Top    #15

So, after draining and refilling, my cya is still high, at 130 according to the pool store. I'm not sure I can afford the water bill if I drain and refill again! Can I start the SLAM process and just add enough bleach for this much cya?

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by cnshough
    So, after draining and refilling, my cya is still high, at 130 according to the pool store.
    There is your problem, you are assuming the pool store cya result is accurate. This is the test that is most often messed up by pool stores. I would get some more titrant before doing any more drain/refills. It would stink if your cya is actually down where you can manage it, and your drain/refills are just wasting your water.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

17. Back To Top    #17

Ugh! OK, I'll get some more titrant.

18. Back To Top    #18

You were right. Pool store was wrong. Way off. Said 130, but drops say it's at 80 on a cloudy day, so it's likely even lower than that!

19. Back To Top    #19

After 1 night of SLAMming, my pool looks WAY better. Problem now is that I ran out of dpd titration last night. I thought I had plenty but was way off. What should I do? Stop slamming until I can get some more?

20. Back To Top    #20

You won't be able to slam properly without an accurate way to test high FC levels.

That shouldn't mean you stop adding chlorine, though. Add at least your typical daily amount so that you don't lose all progress. I'm sure somebody smarter than me will chime in if there's a different recommended amount in this scenario.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast