Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hydrazzo Too Sensitive?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hydrazzo Too Sensitive?

Hi Everyone - We are still working on getting our final quote from our builder and a new question has arisen. We are buidling a pool in Austin, TX. Our original quote included a "pebble finish" but not a Pebble Tec product. After spending time in several friends pools, we decided we would prefer a smoother finish and we asked our builder about Pebble Fina since they had done a friend's Bead Crete pool. They don't do Pebble Fina, but do Hydrazzo instead. After all of the reading I''ve done, it sounds like Hydrazzo is much more sensitive to pool chemistry than other finishes. Also, it is a $990 upgrade from the "pebble finish" in the quote. I feel a little stumped. We were getting close to signing and now I have another big question in front of me. Any advice on Hydrazzo? I searched the forum and didn't see anything horrible about it but didn't see a lot of information about experiences with it. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hydrazzo Too Sensitive?

Go on Pebble Tec's site and find your local distributor. Get a Pebble Fina quote from them for just the plaster and ask your PB to back out the plaster. See what that looks like.

$990 up charge above "pebble" whatever makes no sense. What was he going to put in?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

it sounds like Hydrazzo is much more sensitive to pool chemistry than other finishes.
    Haven't heard that before....got a link?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I went back through the forums here and on other sites to copy links and what I realized was that the comments primarily said that Hydrazzo is more sensitive than pebble finishes, as are plaster and quartz. A few also said that the issue would be that Hydrazzo would be more expensive to repair than plaster or quartz, which makes sense.

I'll still need to research the difference between the Hydrazzo and the "pebble' finish. When I spoke to the pool designer yesterday, he said the PebbleTec installer in our area is extremely expensive and that's why they don't use them.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Pool water chemistry, kept within the proper ranges, will not harm any pool finishes....hydrazzo or otherwise.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I go with Dave's comments.
    I also like smooth finishes best.
    Pebble Fina should not be more expensive than "pebble."
    Workmanship issues are important with all finishes. Not necessarily always a water chemistry problem when problems arise.

7. Back To Top    #7

shmatbert - I also live in the Austin area. What I've learned about Hydrazzo is that it is very similar to standard plaster from a 'wear and tear' perspective. Basically, it breaks down like this as best as I've been able to ascertain:

-Plaster is marble dust+portland cement (with color additive)
    -Quartz type finishes (Quartzscapes, CLI, etc..) - quartz + portland cement (with color additive)
    -Pebble Finishes - pebble product + portland cement (with color additive) (not sure if they have any marble dust base, but don't think so)

Hydrazzo is a product manufactured by CLI and I believe it is a marble based product with some sort of aggregate, but then it's polished very smooth - hence the extra money. So, you have the look of aggregate but very smooth finish. My understanding is that since you don't have exposed aggregate, it will wear the same as a standard plaster pool. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's just something to keep in mind. Marble is softer than quartz or pebble, hence the expectation of a longer last finish that has exposed quartz or pebble aggregate.

I don't claim to be an expert and am just trying to recite what I learned as best I can from memory - so don't flame me if I'm wrong people!

I got this info from talking to a guy at Superior Pools in Austin (PM me for his info). They are a supply company for local builders and also have a plaster showroom. You might give them a call to see if they can help answer any questions. They don't carry Pebble Tec branded products though, so their product selection and discussion points will be based on other brands of pebble and quartz aggregate finishes.
    34x17 Freeform Gunite IGP and spa (approx 17k gal)
    Hayward 2HP/2SP TriStar Filter Pump & Tristar Booster
    ProLogic PS-8 and AquaPod
    400k Heater
    CLI Sunstone Quartz Plaster

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks so much everyone!
    Zach- We intended to head to Superior on Saturday but our other errands took longer than expected. Thank you for the information! We need to make it up there soon, but we live SW so it's almost a roadtrip for us!