Winterizing Blower - Why such difference in price

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
So I've tried searching and could not find an answer...

I am planning on my first winterization...going to do myself. And I know I need to blow out the lines...I see many people use Shop Vac like the link below.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_127133-20097-5872411_0_

However, why does a dedicated pool blower http://www.amazon.com/Air-Supply-Cy...4BNR5DC/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp#productDetailscost so much more, for yet an even smaller HP motor ?

If I have a compressor and a shop vac that blows - is that all I really need - what advantages would the "Air Supply" unit provide me.

If it matters, I have 2" lines everywhere - with 6 spa jets(returns) 3 regular returns, skimmer and dual main drains.

Thanks in advance!

The blower produces more pressure than a shop vac will. If you have to blow the main drain you may need more pressure than a shop vac will supply. The blower also produces more volume than a air compressor will and that's required in some installations to make sure you get all the water out.

Bama Rambler said:
The blower produces more pressure than a shop vac will. If you have to blow the main drain you may need more pressure than a shop vac will supply. The blower also produces more volume than a air compressor will and that's required in some installations to make sure you get all the water out.

Shop Vac won't supply enough pressure for my main drain ... i need to use an air compressor.

ship of fools said:
a regular air compressor works fine for me :goodjob:

I see you have 21,000 gal.. how deep are your main drains? We are doing our own close this year, have a shop vac & an air compressor... but my husband's friend swore up & down he HAD to have this other contraption. Our deep end is 8 feet - could that have anything to do with it???

Cathy9887 said:
ship of fools said:
a regular air compressor works fine for me :goodjob:

I see you have 21,000 gal.. how deep are your main drains? We are doing our own close this year, have a shop vac & an air compressor... but my husband's friend swore up & down he HAD to have this other contraption. Our deep end is 8 feet - could that have anything to do with it???

nope ..... my deep end is 8 feet or so as well

i use an air compressor and duct tape to secure it in the piping .... that is use # 10,005 for duct tape :mrgreen:

I have the 3HP Cyclone Vac, I just did a test and hooked it to my skimmer gizmo. I closed all valves with the exception of the MD, turned it on and within seconds I had an eruption of water bubbling out of the deep end, the water looked like it was boiling! If you can afford the Cyclone, go with that!

I actually bought mine to put my liner in, so it saved me a ton there (thousands) and now will save me with winterizing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.