Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winterizing Blower - Why such difference in price

1. Back To Top    #1

Winterizing Blower - Why such difference in price

So I've tried searching and could not find an answer...

I am planning on my first winterization...going to do myself. And I know I need to blow out the lines...I see many people use Shop Vac like the link below.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_127133-20097-5872411_0_

However, why does a dedicated pool blower http://www.amazon.com/Air-Supply-Cyc...productDetailscost so much more, for yet an even smaller HP motor ?

If I have a compressor and a shop vac that blows - is that all I really need - what advantages would the "Air Supply" unit provide me.

If it matters, I have 2" lines everywhere - with 6 spa jets(returns) 3 regular returns, skimmer and dual main drains.

Thanks in advance!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winterizing Blower - Why such difference in price

The blower produces more pressure than a shop vac will. If you have to blow the main drain you may need more pressure than a shop vac will supply. The blower also produces more volume than a air compressor will and that's required in some installations to make sure you get all the water out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The blower produces more pressure than a shop vac will. If you have to blow the main drain you may need more pressure than a shop vac will supply. The blower also produces more volume than a air compressor will and that's required in some installations to make sure you get all the water out.

Shop Vac won't supply enough pressure for my main drain ... i need to use an air compressor.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok....thanks for the feedback...it looks like I gotta buy something else. I guess though I could try my compressor and shop vac first...
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by toofast
    Ok....thanks for the feedback...it looks like I gotta buy something else. I guess though I could try my compressor and shop vac first...

a regular air compressor works fine for me
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools
    I see you have 21,000 gal.. how deep are your main drains? We are doing our own close this year, have a shop vac & an air compressor... but my husband's friend swore up & down he HAD to have this other contraption. Our deep end is 8 feet - could that have anything to do with it???
    28,600 gal, IG vinyl, St. Louis, MO - Installed: 09/2012
    Pump: 1.5 hp Pentair Challenger, Filter: Pentair TR-100 sand, SWG: IntelliChlor (Pentair) Vac: 2-wheel The Pool Cleaner, Test Kit: TFT100 kit, Salt Test: Taylor sodium chloride drop test.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy9887
    Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools
    I see you have 21,000 gal.. how deep are your main drains? We are doing our own close this year, have a shop vac & an air compressor... but my husband's friend swore up & down he HAD to have this other contraption. Our deep end is 8 feet - could that have anything to do with it???

nope ..... my deep end is 8 feet or so as well

i use an air compressor and duct tape to secure it in the piping .... that is use # 10,005 for duct tape
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the 3HP Cyclone Vac, I just did a test and hooked it to my skimmer gizmo. I closed all valves with the exception of the MD, turned it on and within seconds I had an eruption of water bubbling out of the deep end, the water looked like it was boiling! If you can afford the Cyclone, go with that!

I actually bought mine to put my liner in, so it saved me a ton there (thousands) and now will save me with winterizing!
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG