Daft questions

bof

May 17, 2013
Cyprus
Hi

I was recently told that I should rotate the multi valve handle only clockwise I was going in both directions :roll: to your knowledge is this correct.
Also when you backwash you do so to waste when you rinse does this go to waste also, if not why can you not go strait to filter.
Niggling thoughts need to be put to bed.

bof said:
Hi

I was recently told that I should rotate the multi valve handle only clockwise I was going in both directions :roll: to your knowledge is this correct.
Also when you backwash you do so to waste when you rinse does this go to waste also, if not why can you not go strait to filter.
Niggling thoughts need to be put to bed.

I've never heard of rotating the valve in only one direction, and cannot think of any logical reason for doing so, but, I'm not an expert either so we both may learn something.

As I understand it, when you backwash, the normal flow of water is reversed. Instead of in at the top of the sand and out thru the laterals at the bottom, water flows from the laterals up thru the sand to wash out all the junk the sand has trapped in the top layers. When you rinse, the water once again flows from the top to re-settle the sand in the filter and flush out any remaining dirty water still being flushed out the waste line. Afterwards when you switch back to filter, flow is restored to in at the top, out the laterals, and into the pool.

Charlie_R said:
There are a few posts here that recommend turning the valve in only one direction. The reasoning behind this has to do with the spider gasket coming out of it's groove. This does happen on some filters.

My pool builder told me the same thing...when I asked WHY he really had no answer other than how he's always done it.

I'm not sure it's required, but I always turn mine the same direction. That's more due to the natural progression of settings than anything.

When you rinse the sand, the water flows through the sand in the normal direction but exits out the waste port in order to rinse any debris out and not return it to the pool.

Interesting! Thats the first I've heard of turning the valve in one direction only. Don't think that would help me at this point as I've been going both ways for over a year now since I started looking after the pool, and the owner's never mentioned anything about it so they probably weren't aware of it either. Still doesn't pass the logic test, for me, but... I guess I'll dig a little deeper into the subject and see what I come up with.

I have heard that as well ... and tend to do it myself. Although I try not to move mine much since I am pretty sure my gasket is messed up and if I am not careful end up draining the pool out to waste :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.