Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poolife turbo shock - ok to use?

1. Back To Top    #1

Poolife turbo shock - ok to use?

I've been sick and neglected my pool about a week now. I haven't tested but did put in a gal of bleach every other day or so. Somehow still clear and sparkly at the moment. I've run out of bleach and am not up to going to store. Then I remembered I have a box of 1 lb Poolife Turbo Shock bags that came with the pool. Problem is it says 78% calcium hypochlorite and 22% other. I searched online but couldn't find what "other" ingredients includes. Anyone know if this has copper or other nasties in it? If it's safe to use, then how do I figure out what it will raise FC? I looked at pool calculator but didn't know which powder to choose and none said 78%. Feel dumb but I've never used anything but bleach before. I just need something to tide me over a few days until I feel better. As always, thank you to the wise minds that keep this such a wonderful site! Last test results:

FC 5.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 160
    CH 220
    CYA 30

Based on my general daily burn rate and the amount I think I've added I'm thinking I will hit FC 0 sometime during the day tomorrow. Knock knock knocking on algae's door.
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Poolife turbo shock - ok to use?

That looks like typical cal-hypo to me per the msds without copper. 1 lb will raise your CH by ~2.8...and your FC by 4 ppm.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have about 20 bags of it so I will use a few bags until I can get to store to buy bleach. Thank you!!!
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

You should be fine with 20 bags since you CH is not too high right now.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

You can get a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on Poolife Turbo ShockThere here: http://www.leisurepoolinc.com/sitebu...es/PL22402.pdf. According to that document, it does not contain copper or other metals.

Using 16 oz of this product (78% cal-hypo) in your 22,000 gallon pool would raise FC by 4.2 and CH by 3 ppm. Since your calcium level is not considered high, you can get away with using this product on occasion but I would still use bleach whenever possible. Since you have an AGP, I'm assuming it has a vinyl liner. Vinyl liners do not need calcium like plaster and, to a lesser extent, fiberglass pools. Also, be sure to mix the cal-hypo in a bucket of water before adding it to the pool to minimize the risk of spotting on the liner due to undissolved granules. After adding the cal-hypo, the water will likely turn milky-cloudy for a while - entirely normal when using cal-hypo.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.