help ID this surface and recommend clear coat

Sep 10, 2013
Hi all

Can anyone please help to identify this surface coating, they are very small stones.

The pool goes green quite quickly and the pool guy says algae grows quickly in the small cracks at the bottom, he says it needs refinishing

can anyone tell me what surface this is and recommend the best product to refinish it, I was hoping to drain it, pressure wash it and even acid wash if you guys say it needs it, then to coat with a long lasting clear coat finish which would hopefully help seal the tiny gaps

any and all advice gratefully received

thanks

Terry

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 63
Welcome to tfp, terry f :wave:

Looks like a variation of a "pebble" surface to me. I am not an expert on plaster finishes, but I do not think you want to seal it, since that will need to be redone often.

terry f said:
The pool goes green quite quickly and the pool guy says algae grows quickly in the small cracks at the bottom, he says it needs refinishing
This I would say is unlikely the cause/effect. I would guess the reason the pool goes green quickly is inadequate chlorination. Post a full set of test results and we can help. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/read_before_you_post

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I agree, there is likely no need to try to seal the surface. I too would guess that you are just not maintaining adequate FC levels, which are dependant on your stabilizer level (CYA) as shown in this chart: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

What are you using to chlorinate your pool?
How often are you brushing?

If you want to eradicate the algae, you will need to SLAM the pool. [slam:1twen7ql][/slam:1twen7ql]

To do this correctly will require one of the Recommended Test Kits.

With this tool and knowledge you can gain here, there is no reason you can not take control and stop listening to the poor advice from the "pool guy".

MMmmm good questions :)

I'm a bit backward when it comes to pool knowledge, I usually leave it to the pool guy.

He says he has serviced this pool for many years and the past year or so the algae has gotten worse

he says its due to the rough surface giving the algae a quick place to grow

also said it would be best to strip it first then refinish it. But I did read elsewhere to avoid sealing where possible as that would need redoing often

he also says there is a slow leak that resealing would cure

I have no idea how often he brushes it or what chemicals he uses but I will ask him I know he usually shows up two or three times a week on his rounds

I'd be grateful for any points, am just off to England but was planning on draining it on my return, replacing the two lights and doing any maintenance required, originally planned to seal it, but am open to any other suggestions

I did see some treatment that absorbs into the stoned and makes them repel water, would this be any use in this situation

excuse my greenness but I am a keen learner and in the right place for sure for the best advice

thanks

terry

If the pool gets greener easier and quicker, it sounds like your CYA (conditioner/stabilizer) levels are getting too high. CYA stabilizes the chlorine (CL) and it diminishes it's ability to actively kill algae and the pool gets green at a higher CL level. The stabilizing effects of CYA are helpful, to a point, after that they make it harder to kill algae without much higher levels of CL. Most pool guys/services use solid (stabilized) forms of chlorine to maintain pools and do not have an understanding of the effects of CYA on your CL levels.

Pool School, link above, describes the relationship of CYA to chlorine and it the most important step to managing your pool.

Do NOT be surprised if your pool guy does not understand the CYA/FC relationship ... remarkably a majority of people in the pool industry do not understand it even though the information has been available since the 70s.

Could be they rely on the information given to them by the pool chemical manufacturers who have a vested interest in continuing to sell their products. :suspect:

I would find a leak detection company for pool and have them address you leak, assuming you have one.

Now, if the cracks are leaking water, that is structural issue, not an algae issue. I am not a gunite expert but i know you can use dye drops to search for leaks. A drop of dye in the water will be drawn into a crack if leaks. How much water do you lose in a week? 1 inch per week? How often do you need to add water?

The small leak... does it only leak when the pump is running or all the time? In my readings here, most leaks happen in the pipes or the pump's strainer lid, not the pool structure.

At to the comment that algae is growing too fast for the pool and the cracks are the issue, that,in my mind, is a lazy pool technician not addressing the issue of low chlorination. If the "active" chlorine were high enough, the algae would be dead and the pool would be clear. The cracks in the floor of the pool growing algae would not be an issue, just cracks in the finish.

Summarizing what everyone else above has posted, your pool gets algae because of inadequate chlorine. I don't disagree with your pool guy that the rougher surfaces allow for more places that can hide algae but you/he must address the chlorine issues or your pool will never clear.

There is a very simple test you can do to see if water loss is due to a leak or evaporation. Take a bucket and fill it about half way with pool water and set it on a step inside the pool. Use a sharpie and mark the water level inside the bucket, then put another mark on the outside of the bucket at the height of the pool water. The outside mark shows how high the water is in the pool, the inside mark shows how high the water is inside the bucket. Do not run the pump and leave the bucket on the step undisturbed for 24 hours, then mark the new waterlines inside and outside the bucket. Measure the distance between the lines for the inside and outside marks. If there is no leak the rate of water loss should be about the same. If there is a leak the difference between the outside marks will be greater than the inside marks. If you do have a leak then you can begin tracking down the source. Do you see any cracks in the surface of the pool? If so please post a picture.

Either have the pool guy leave you a set of test results or take a sample of pool water and have it tested. Post the results here and we can give a little more concrete advice to treat your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.