Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Help With algae

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Help With algae

    Hi, This is my 3rd year with this pool and been fighting algae for a few weeks. I have a 21 ft round AGP, with a haywood 1.5 hp pump and Swimpro cartridge filter.

    I shock the pool with liquid chlorine and it clears up, but then I get what looks like dirt or dead algae on the bootom. I am contantly cleaning the filter and it is coated with green stuff everytime.

    My readings with my Taylor test kit, are.

    FC 24
    CC 0
    CYA 55
    TA 100
    CH 75
    PH 7.4

    I don't know if my cartridge filter is bad and dumping stuff back in, or I have mustard algae.

    I vacuumed yesterday and now I got cloudy, greenish tinted water.

    I never had a problem like this before and would like to know wht to do.


  2. Back To Top    #2
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Twin Cities, MN

    Re: Help With algae

    Welcome to tfp, veager

    It sounds like the algae is not totally dead (water can be clear and algae can still be in the water). You need to do the SLAM process: Follow this process completely and your issue should go away.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

    Re: Help With algae


    The problem is likely here: "I shock the pool with liquid chlorine and it clears up, but then I get what looks like dirt or dead algae on the bottom." You're probably using the pool store definition of shocking, which is a one-time megadose of chlorine. There's a couple problems with this approach. One, chlorine loss due to sunlight is a percentage, not a fixed parts per million, so overdosing it just means you lose more to the sun. Two, you might bleach your liner. Three: it takes several days to kill ALL the algae.

    It's sort of like treating an infection. You don't take all the antibiotics in one bug gulp and expect it to clear up overnight. It takes regular dosing for many days to be completely rid of it. The doctor will have you taking the pills many days after you feel better.

    The solution is to SLAM it. In brief, it's doing what you've been doing for a sustained period of time and brushing until your shoulders and lower back are sore. The good news is, once you get a complete kill on the algae, you may never have to go through this again. Many of us here have gone years and years without ever having algae
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts