Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A little chemistry help

1. Back To Top    #1

A little chemistry help

New pool owner .... been up and running for about 2 weeks and I am still trying to get everything lined out and functioning precisely.

FC 6.5
    CYA 75
    PH 7.8-9
    TA 220
    salt 3300

Water is crystal clear but obviously the TA is out of whack and FC needs to be brought down a hair.

Just making sure before I do anything ..... looks like I need to add about 108oz of muriatic acid to bring the PH down to around 7.2 which should in turn lower the TA?

I also lowered the % of the SWG and will let it run a few days to see if further adjustment is needed.
    19600 gallon 18x36 IG vinyl liner over full length steel steps. 4'x8' sun ledge. Sport bottom 3.5-6.5'.
    Hayward equipment including SP3200 VSP, Pro Logic, T-15, S210S sand filter, 140k Heat Pump and Colorlogic light.
    Under track auto cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A little chemistry help

Sounds like a good plan to lower the % output (or shorten the pump run time) to lower the FC a bit.

And then just keep an eye on the pH and keep it in the 7s, as you add MA that will slowly lower the TA which should slow the rate of pH rise. Or you can get more aggressive to Lower Total Alkalinity faster.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I assume MA is MA ....? the Lowes web site shows this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_206474-34228-CR ... Id=3024039

Work?
    19600 gallon 18x36 IG vinyl liner over full length steel steps. 4'x8' sun ledge. Sport bottom 3.5-6.5'.
    Hayward equipment including SP3200 VSP, Pro Logic, T-15, S210S sand filter, 140k Heat Pump and Colorlogic light.
    Under track auto cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

I run my pump for much longer than what I really need to ..... 12 hours a day ..... but the power consumption of it is ridiculously low. I have a lot of trees surrounding the pool and want the water moving to keep the surface as clean as possible.

I might try running the pump at 1500rpm for 6 hours and then lower it to 1000rpm for 6 more hours .... when running that slow the SWG is disabled.

Only a couple more weeks of swim weather around here so the bulk of experimentation might happen next spring.
    Under track auto cover.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes all muriatic acid is the same ... BUT, be sure to check the strength. Lowes around here have the 2 gallon boxes for sale in the pool area, but have switched to 14% stuff for the same price. Make you sure get the 31%, this is actually one thing that I usually buy at the pool store as they are competitive.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Lowes site says 31.45% .... hope my local store has it in stock. Pool store is a 20 minute drive.

btw .... thanks. This site is great.
    Under track auto cover.

7. Back To Top    #7

You may have to look in the paint area to find the 31% stuff. I have not seen it in the pool area any more, but honestly have not gone searching the store to find it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Curious as to how important the TA is?

I added some MA and it brought the PH down to 7.2 and the TA down to 190.

Here is what I currently have:

FC 7
    CC 0
    CH 250
    TA 190
    PH 7.2
    CYA 75

I have been leaving the cover closed when not in use simply because the leaves are just beginning to fall ... I assume that is why the FC inched up just a bit. I adjust pump run time down to 8hrs.

Do I do anything further about the TA or just keep an eye on it and the PH over the coming days?
    Under track auto cover.

9. Back To Top    #9

As I stated before:
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    And then just keep an eye on the pH and keep it in the 7s, as you add MA that will slowly lower the TA which should slow the rate of pH rise. Or you can get more aggressive to Lower Total Alkalinity faster.
    Jason, TFP Moderator