Bleach ruining clothes

garyc

Sep 10, 2013
I've been using the BBB method for about 2 months now, and my water looks better than ever. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my clothes: I've found several things with bleach spots on them. I know the simple answer here is to change before I add bleach to the water, but sometimes that's not very practical. Does anyone have any suggestions about techniques to avoid this? Thank you!

Welcome to tfp, garyc :wave:

How are you adding the bleach?

We recommend adding it in front of a pool return (water coming back to the pool). I do this by partially floating the bottle on the surface of the water and then pouring my desired amount of bleach slowly into the return stream. This has eliminated splashing for me.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I'm assuming you are referring to this happening while you are adding bleach to the pool while dressed in "street clothes". What I do is add the prescribed amount of bleach as determined by the Pool Calculator (see link in my sig) to a large 1 qt measuring cup and then dilute the bleach in the cup with water. Then I pour it slowly just above the water surface in front of a return jet. I define slowly as the pour stream out of the cup being about the width of a pencil.

If you pour the bleach while standing up and walking around the pool, your clothes will get spotted from splash-back - guaranteed. I learned that the hard way when I first switched to BBB.

I put it in much the way linen described. I bend down and pour it from right above the water. On a couple occasions I was pleased that I was able to pour it in without splashing at all, only to find out after my shirts were washed that they had bleach spots on them. What is a good resource to look for a bleach injection pump like Bama Rambler mentioned?

There are several threads about people adding an injection system. Myself included. I use a Stenner pump, but there are several brands out there. I also use a regular 15 gallon drum, but you can buy a pump and tank system already assembled if you'd like. I have to fill the drum about once a month.

Just do a csearch for injection pump and I bet you'll find more than you wanted to know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cadman89113 said:
Do what I do: NEVER wear ANY clothes when at the pool! I may be jaded; but I am blessed with a secluded pool that doesn't require me to don a bathing suit EVER! If I get a M.A or a Bleach Burn, I just rinse it off with the garden hose! Although, I DO use SAFETY glasses - and CHEMICAL RESISTANT GLOVES when handling MA. . . .

Nothing quite like having a nudie pool!

If ya can't do that? Then try pouring your bleach in closer to the surface - less splash that way.

Well, I bet the neighbors would just LUV that! heheh

I hope when you're handling the acid you use glasses and at least THREE gloves. :shock:

It's not just your clothing that gets damaged. The stuff drips and spills on the ground and bleaches everything it touches. Concrete, wood, pavers. And don't even think about walking into the house without taking your shoes off. Bleach stains on the Oriental rugs are big time bad news. I had no idea how brutal this stuff is when I first started with it. Now I'm really careful but it's still not foolproof. The only way I've found is to be really really deliberate in handling and preferably work in a bathing suit that you don't care about.

BobbyR said:
It's not just your clothing that gets damaged. The stuff drips and spills on the ground and bleaches everything it touches. Concrete, wood, pavers. And don't even think about walking into the house without taking your shoes off. Bleach stains on the Oriental rugs are big time bad news. I had no idea how brutal this stuff is when I first started with it. Now I'm really careful but it's still not foolproof. The only way I've found is to be really really deliberate in handling and preferably work in a bathing suit that you don't care about.
Wow, you have had trouble....I have not had the same experience.

Here is my approach:
  • 1. lower capped bleach bottle into pool near return flow so that the water is supporting some of the weight
    2. carefully remove cap and set upside down next to pool edge
    2. with bleach bottle still partially in the water, rotate bottle mouth down towards water line to dispense bleach in the return flow being careful to pour slow enough to not "glug"
    3. after dispensing bleach, with bottle is still resting in the water, put cap back on tight
    4. then dunk whole bottle (and my hands) underwater and swish

This approach appears to have helped me avoid what you have experienced.

How do you measure when pouring directly from the bottle into the pool in the way you describe? Also, I'm using the big ten litre jugs of 12% so they are quite heavy when full and difficult to handle; the liquid itself is raging grade. All that said, my pool water is pristine. Never been better so, despite the handling issues, the chlorine really does the job.

linen said:
BobbyR said:

Here is my approach:
  • 1. lower capped bleach bottle into pool near return flow so that the water is supporting some of the weight
    2. with bleach bottle still partially in the water, rotate bottle mouth down towards water line to dispense bleach in the return flow being careful to pour slow enough to not "glug"
    3. after dispensing bleach, with bottle is still resting in the water, put cap back on tight

I do the same as Linen when I don't have time to change.

BobbyR said:
How do you measure when pouring directly from the bottle into the pool in the way you describe?
I use 1 gallon jugs of 12.5%, so to raise my pool about 3 ppm, it is about a quarter of a bottle.

BobbyR said:
Also, I'm using the big ten litre jugs of 12% so they are quite heavy when full and difficult to handle
Those are big jugs, and one of the reasons I try and find sources of bleach/liquid chlorine in smaller containers. If that is your most economical bleach source then maybe you could transfer it into smaller containers for dosing (do a few containers at a time with junk cloths on), then use something like the approach above to dose your pool.

BobbyR said:
All that said, my pool water is pristine. Never been better so, despite the handling issues, the chlorine really does the job.
:goodjob:

I just pour into a pint cup over the water, but do so slowly so as not to splash. After capping the bottle, I'll dunk/rinse the outside if anything dripped. I'll take a pint of pool water and flow water from the coping into the pool if there was any spillage. When I started out years ago I had bleach spots on some clothes (mostly the bottom of jeans), but it's been years since I've had any such problem so the the technique must be working well.

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, garyc :wave:

How are you adding the bleach?

We recommend adding it in front of a pool return (water coming back to the pool). I do this by partially floating the bottle on the surface of the water and then pouring my desired amount of bleach slowly into the return stream. This has eliminated splashing for me.

This what I do....works well.

linen said:
BobbyR said:

Here is my approach:

Wow...again...my step by step approach exactly. Maybe he has a harder to access return or has limited mobility to do this. Just a thought.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.