Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bleach ruining clothes

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach ruining clothes

I've been using the BBB method for about 2 months now, and my water looks better than ever. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my clothes: I've found several things with bleach spots on them. I know the simple answer here is to change before I add bleach to the water, but sometimes that's not very practical. Does anyone have any suggestions about techniques to avoid this? Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach ruining clothes

Welcome to tfp, garyc

How are you adding the bleach?

We recommend adding it in front of a pool return (water coming back to the pool). I do this by partially floating the bottle on the surface of the water and then pouring my desired amount of bleach slowly into the return stream. This has eliminated splashing for me.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

I'm assuming you are referring to this happening while you are adding bleach to the pool while dressed in "street clothes". What I do is add the prescribed amount of bleach as determined by the Pool Calculator (see link in my sig) to a large 1 qt measuring cup and then dilute the bleach in the cup with water. Then I pour it slowly just above the water surface in front of a return jet. I define slowly as the pour stream out of the cup being about the width of a pencil.

If you pour the bleach while standing up and walking around the pool, your clothes will get spotted from splash-back - guaranteed. I learned that the hard way when I first switched to BBB.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Get a bleach injection pump. It won't stop it from happening, but it limits the number of exposures you have to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Get a bleach injection pump. It won't stop it from happening, but it limits the number of exposures you have to it.
    Or get a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (swg) and eliminate all exposure (well...almost all)
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I put it in much the way linen described. I bend down and pour it from right above the water. On a couple occasions I was pleased that I was able to pour it in without splashing at all, only to find out after my shirts were washed that they had bleach spots on them. What is a good resource to look for a bleach injection pump like Bama Rambler mentioned?

7. Back To Top    #7

There are several threads about people adding an injection system. Myself included. I use a Stenner pump, but there are several brands out there. I also use a regular 15 gallon drum, but you can buy a pump and tank system already assembled if you'd like. I have to fill the drum about once a month.

Just do a csearch for injection pump and I bet you'll find more than you wanted to know.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

You could just throw on an apron or other garb before dosing -- easier than changing clothes.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Just slow down and pour from the bottle closer to the surface

10. Back To Top    #10

Hose and funnel?
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

11. Back To Top    #11

Try pouring your bleach in closer to the surface - less splash that way.
    SW Las Vegas, Nevada 10,294 Gal pool, 660 Gal attached spa - 10,949 Gal total. Plaster. 550 Series Hayward Cartridge filter w/ 550SqFt surface area. Flow rate 150GPH, 2.5 Hp single speed pump. Built 2005 with attached spa that sits higher than pool but is on same filtration system.
    I use TFTestkits , Pool Calculator , Pool School - Easy Peasy to do - and am VERY happy with my pool!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by cadman89113
    Do what I do: NEVER wear ANY clothes when at the pool! I may be jaded; but I am blessed with a secluded pool that doesn't require me to don a bathing suit EVER! If I get a M.A or a Bleach Burn, I just rinse it off with the garden hose! Although, I DO use SAFETY glasses - and CHEMICAL RESISTANT GLOVES when handling MA. . . .

Nothing quite like having a nudie pool!

If ya can't do that? Then try pouring your bleach in closer to the surface - less splash that way.
    Well, I bet the neighbors would just LUV that! heheh

I hope when you're handling the acid you use glasses and at least THREE gloves.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

13. Back To Top    #13

It's not just your clothing that gets damaged. The stuff drips and spills on the ground and bleaches everything it touches. Concrete, wood, pavers. And don't even think about walking into the house without taking your shoes off. Bleach stains on the Oriental rugs are big time bad news. I had no idea how brutal this stuff is when I first started with it. Now I'm really careful but it's still not foolproof. The only way I've found is to be really really deliberate in handling and preferably work in a bathing suit that you don't care about.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR
    It's not just your clothing that gets damaged. The stuff drips and spills on the ground and bleaches everything it touches. Concrete, wood, pavers. And don't even think about walking into the house without taking your shoes off. Bleach stains on the Oriental rugs are big time bad news. I had no idea how brutal this stuff is when I first started with it. Now I'm really careful but it's still not foolproof. The only way I've found is to be really really deliberate in handling and preferably work in a bathing suit that you don't care about.
    Wow, you have had trouble....I have not had the same experience.

Here is my approach:
    • 1. lower capped bleach bottle into pool near return flow so that the water is supporting some of the weight
      2. carefully remove cap and set upside down next to pool edge
      2. with bleach bottle still partially in the water, rotate bottle mouth down towards water line to dispense bleach in the return flow being careful to pour slow enough to not "glug"
      3. after dispensing bleach, with bottle is still resting in the water, put cap back on tight
      4. then dunk whole bottle (and my hands) underwater and swish

This approach appears to have helped me avoid what you have experienced.

15. Back To Top    #15

How do you measure when pouring directly from the bottle into the pool in the way you describe? Also, I'm using the big ten litre jugs of 12% so they are quite heavy when full and difficult to handle; the liquid itself is raging grade. All that said, my pool water is pristine. Never been better so, despite the handling issues, the chlorine really does the job.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by linen

Here is my approach:
    • 1. lower capped bleach bottle into pool near return flow so that the water is supporting some of the weight
      2. with bleach bottle still partially in the water, rotate bottle mouth down towards water line to dispense bleach in the return flow being careful to pour slow enough to not "glug"
      3. after dispensing bleach, with bottle is still resting in the water, put cap back on tight

I do the same as Linen when I don't have time to change.
    16,500 gallon, 18" x 38" Grecian; IG Vinyl, Hayward DE

17. Back To Top    #17

How do you measure when pouring directly from the bottle into the pool in the way you describe?
    I use 1 gallon jugs of 12.5%, so to raise my pool about 3 ppm, it is about a quarter of a bottle.

Also, I'm using the big ten litre jugs of 12% so they are quite heavy when full and difficult to handle
    Those are big jugs, and one of the reasons I try and find sources of bleach/liquid chlorine in smaller containers. If that is your most economical bleach source then maybe you could transfer it into smaller containers for dosing (do a few containers at a time with junk cloths on), then use something like the approach above to dose your pool.

All that said, my pool water is pristine. Never been better so, despite the handling issues, the chlorine really does the job.

18. Back To Top    #18

I just pour into a pint cup over the water, but do so slowly so as not to splash. After capping the bottle, I'll dunk/rinse the outside if anything dripped. I'll take a pint of pool water and flow water from the coping into the pool if there was any spillage. When I started out years ago I had bleach spots on some clothes (mostly the bottom of jeans), but it's been years since I've had any such problem so the the technique must be working well.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

19. Back To Top    #19

Welcome to tfp, garyc

How are you adding the bleach?

We recommend adding it in front of a pool return (water coming back to the pool). I do this by partially floating the bottle on the surface of the water and then pouring my desired amount of bleach slowly into the return stream. This has eliminated splashing for me.
    This what I do....works well.
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!

20. Back To Top    #20

Here is my approach:

Wow...again...my step by step approach exactly. Maybe he has a harder to access return or has limited mobility to do this. Just a thought.
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast