Newbie: Picture book instructions for closing pool

I'm glad the pictures help!

Here's the latest: I plugged up the returns lines, the valve that directs water from the skimmers and main drain, and covered the pool. I'll let the pictures do the talking. Please let me know if something doesn't look right!

Here's the compressor I used, the expansion plugs, and the lube. The canister hooked up to the compressor is just the blow gun I have. It's actually for working on my car's a/c system.

Attachments

• Plugs and lube.JPG
    Plugs and lube.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 120
  • compressor.JPG
    compressor.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 120
Here's pictures of the pipes for the return jets plugged with the black expansion plugs. The valve for the skimmers/main drain was turned to the "Off" position and plugged with an expansion plug as well. I actually also opened the top of the valve by removing the silver screws, and lubed the o-ring that's in there. Also lubed up the o-ring a the mouth of the valve.

Attachments

• valve off.JPG
    valve off.JPG
    435.8 KB · Views: 113
  • valve plugged.JPG
    valve plugged.JPG
    422.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Return jet plugged.JPG
    Return jet plugged.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 113
BTW, I still can't get the hand rail out of the ground, so I think I'll leave it as is for fear of breaking something. That should be ok, right? The base of the hand rails sit in metal cups, which should be able to withstand the freezing, right??

gb99 said:
BTW, I still can't get the hand rail out of the ground, so I think I'll leave it as is for fear of breaking something. That should be ok, right? The base of the hand rails sit in metal cups, which should be able to withstand the freezing, right??

I leave mine in all year, even though it will come out real easy. I just don't want to store it and fool with it. It stays on 365 days a year.

Plus it makes a good target to throw snowballs through.

gb99 said:
I'm glad the pictures help!

Here's the latest: I plugged up the returns lines, the valve that directs water from the skimmers and main drain, and covered the pool. I'll let the pictures do the talking. Please let me know if something doesn't look right!

Here's the compressor I used, the expansion plugs, and the lube. The canister hooked up to the compressor is just the blow gun I have. It's actually for working on my car's a/c system.

What doesn't look right to me is the position of the valve at the skimmer/main drain.

You did not create an air lock on the main drain line, the off position should be going to the main drain line. You have it going to where the pump was removed from.

Same effect happens when you put your finger over a soda straw and stick it in a cup of water.
the air will block the water from entering the straw.

samt said:
What doesn't look right to me is the position of the valve at the skimmer/main drain.

You did not create an air lock on the main drain line, the off position should be going to the main drain line. You have it going to where the pump was removed from.

I see what you're saying. I put the valve in that position in hopes of creating an air lock for both the main drain and skimmer boxes. I *think* some of the antifreeze in the skimmer box is seeping past the Gizzmo and into the pipes below. I assume rain water will as well and could potentially cause freezing. I thought maybe creating an air lock in the skimmer pipes would put positive air pressure in the pipes, thus reducing or negating any leakage pass the Gizzmo and into the skimmer pipes.

If I need to blow out the main drain again and reset the valve, no biggie, I can do that this weekend.

gb99 said:
samt said:

I see what you're saying. I put the valve in that position in hopes of creating an air lock for both the main drain and skimmer boxes. I *think* some of the antifreeze in the skimmer box is seeping past the Gizzmo and into the pipes below. I assume rain water will as well and could potentially cause freezing. I thought maybe creating an air lock in the skimmer pipes would put positive air pressure in the pipes, thus reducing or negating any leakage pass the Gizzmo and into the skimmer pipes.

If I need to blow out the main drain again and reset the valve, no biggie, I can do that this weekend.

That's why I quit using the gizzmos, mine would leak also. I use the white plugs with the o ring.
The white plug works great on the flat skimmer box bottom.

Once you plug the returns and skimmer you have a air lock in those pipes.

The main drain is your next goal and you do that by pumping air into that line and then when the compressor is stilling running shut that valve to off on the main drain side and then install the black plug the way you had it. Then I put a big zip tie or wire around that valve Handel so kids or someone doesn't turn that valve Handel . Other than that it looks good.

Hmmm...

Prior to plugging up the skimmer box with the Gizzmo, I poured anti-freeze into the pipe. The reason I poured antifreeze into the skimmer pipes is that I heard water gurgling in there no matter how long I blew the pipes out. I was afraid the remaining water, no matter how little there might be in there, would freeze over the winter.

So right now there is antifreeze in the skimmer pipe as well as the boxes themselves, which are plugged with Gizzmos that have o-rings on them.

Was that wrong? Should I pump out the antifreeze from the pipes and just try to get the skimmer pipes as dry as possible?

gb99 said:
Hmmm...

Prior to plugging up the skimmer box with the Gizzmo, I poured anti-freeze into the pipe. The reason I poured antifreeze into the skimmer pipes is that I heard water gurgling in there no matter how long I blew the pipes out. I was afraid the remaining water, no matter how little there might be in there, would freeze over the winter.

So right now there is antifreeze in the skimmer pipe as well as the boxes themselves, which are plugged with Gizzmos that have o-rings on them.

Was that wrong? Should I pump out the antifreeze from the pipes and just try to get the skimmer pipes as dry as possible?

No , I think your fine with the skimmers, I do the same when I get through blowing out the water in the skimmers / return , I also pour anti freeze in the pipe through the skimmer. And like you I can still here water in the pipes, you can't get it all, thus the antifreeze. Your fine with the skimmer/ return part. I just thought you might have water in the main drain due to where I saw the valve setting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Samt, do you drain the water out of your sand filter first or just let the compressor blow it out? Would draining the water out of the filter first create a problem as far as blowing out it concerned? I also have a heater, would you drain it first or just let the compressor blow everything out?
Anyone who wants that may have suggestion, please feel free to do so.

TGMcCallie said:
Samt, do you drain the water out of your sand filter first or just let the compressor blow it out? Would draining the water out of the filter first create a problem as far as blowing out it concerned? I also have a heater, would you drain it first or just let the compressor blow everything out?
Anyone who wants that may have suggestion, please feel free to do so.

I blow out the sand filter at the same time and then I take off the drain screw at the bottom and unscrew the air release nob a little bit on top and that's it, I can't help you with the heater but I assume you should be able to blow that at the same time also.

Hi all,

It’s been an extremely long winter and it’s almost that time to open the pool. I’ve been thinking about how to improve things to make closing easier this year and have this question/idea:

I have a DE filter (which I might change out since I read DE is harmful to your health and the environment) and there is a drain plug at the bottom. Is there a plug that allows connection to a garden hose so I can direct where I want the drain water to go, rather than have it spew out near my pump/filter pad? This is especially important since the DE comes pouring out along with the water.

More questions to come :)

There have been people who have found PVC fittings and adapters to allow hooking up to a hose ... would just have to head to the hardware store and piece it together.

Also, you could keep the filter and just switch to cellulose fiber instead of DE ... no health or environmental concerns. I just bought a bag and going to give it a try this year.

I added a ball valve to the drain on my DE filter. The ball valve is threaded on the inside (female) and I used a threaded adapter for a waste hose and attached the waste hose and direct it wherever I want the water to go when I drain the filter.

I have use the cellulose fiber in place of DE and it works very well. The only negative is the cost if you are having to slam the pool and clean the filter frequently.

This past Sunday, I hooked up the pool pump, filter, and plumbing to get the skimmers, return jets, and main drain working. Nothing blew up, yet, so thank you all for your help in closing the pool last fall. I poured some bleach into the pool and left the cover on for now until I can clean all the leaves and twigs off the deck. The water is not green, so that's good. I still need to hook up the Polaris pump and pool bottom vacuum robot, but that shouldn't be too bad.

1) However, one of the doors (weir?) for the skimmer box was cracked and needs replacing. Do you know why that happened despite having used a Gizmo? For the next closing, should I completely remove the weir door or use one of those plates that completely block off the skimmer opening on the pool side?

2) The other issue is a leaky backwash port on the multi-port valve, which I ordered a spider gasket for and will glue in.

3) I stored the pool vacuum (older Polaris) in the basement where the oil tank is. I noticed that sections of the feed hose for the Polaris turned a nasty brown. Was that caused by being close to the oil tank or just natural decay of the hose? Edit: Upon closer inspection the previous owner spliced in some generic hose that must have degraded in the chlorine. A new Polaris hose will fix this.

4) There were some cotton-looking things floating around in the skimmer boxes. Any idea what that was/is?

5) The liner is "bulging" at the corners of the top step, despite water now covering 1/2 that step. It looks as though there is an air pocket in those corners. It started happening right after I drained about 1/3 of the pool during closing last year. Do I need to call a professional in to fix it? I don't want the liner getting damaged.

Thank you all and enjoy your swimming season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.