Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor Problem Again!

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor Problem Again!

OK, this is the third week in a row I've had problems with the motor.

First week, it threw the impeller bolt, causing the cap to fry. Replaced cap, rescrewed bolt. Good for a week.

Second week, repeat of above, though this time, I used Loctite on the screw.

Today, three weeks to the day, another problem. We had heavy, heavy rain today. When it ended, I went to backwash, and flipped on the booster pump. I heard a strain, but not quite like the noise when your cap is bad. I assumed the bolt came loose again. Took the motor apart, impeller bolt is nice and tight, a few stray leaf pieces, but nothing big. I turned the power on, and the shaft turned just fine.

Put the motor back in the pump, and though it will turn on and spin, it's like it's not powering up enough to get the RPM's to move the water. It's making a bit of a squeal, but not the rattle you get when the bearings are shot.

I bought this motor in March of 2011. Keep in mind, I live in Arizona, so the motor works pretty darn hard in the summer.

Also, I noticed the elbow was a little loose (it's plastic on this motor - heavy metal on the filter motor), and I'm sure some water got in there.

So, question. Is the motor shot and it's been a slow progression over the last few weeks, but I was in denial? lol Should I wait to see in the wiring dries out and anything changes (I doubt this will matter, but thought I'd throw it out there). Lastly, is it normal to replace motors this often?? In 10 years, this is my 3rd motor on the infloor. I've only replaced the filter pump once, and it's lesser HP, but, also works a lot less.
    12K play pool, sparkle quartz finish, Compupool salt system, PVC2000 infloor system, Emerson 3/4 filter motor, and AO Smith 1 HP infloor motor, PacFab Challenger Pumps

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Motor Problem Again!

I'm thinking that you might have a power supply issue. I would suggest that you measure current and voltage with the pump on.

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, thanks, I'll look into that. I don't have a voltage meter, so I'll have the pool guy out for that.

He said weeks ago that when the caps start going, it means something else is tweaking. I thought it was from the bolt coming loose. Maybe not.
    12K play pool, sparkle quartz finish, Compupool salt system, PVC2000 infloor system, Emerson 3/4 filter motor, and AO Smith 1 HP infloor motor, PacFab Challenger Pumps

4. Back To Top    #4

What you describe sounds like the centrifugal switch is sticking not allowing the motor to get up to full rpm.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jaimejaime
    Second week, repeat of above, though this time, I used Loctite on the screw
    Just as a side note. Most Loctite style products (anerobic threadlocking adhesives) will cause chemical stress cracking* of plastic parts, so use it sparingly and make sure only on metal to metal. If used, I'd probably let it cure overnight before starting a pump to prevent it from being thrown out onto plastic parts. Loctite makes a specific threadlocker for plastics, Loctite 625 which is actually a super glue style adhesive (cyanoacrylate) which doesn't cause issues.

* Technically it's called Environmental Stress Cracking (ESC)
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    What you describe sounds like the centrifugal switch is sticking not allowing the motor to get up to full rpm.

Hmmm...that could be. I just checked the motor, and it will turn on (after a second delay like it's juicing), but it's not spinning fast enough to move the water.

What would cause the switch problem? Could heavy rain, or an odd size cap do it? Sorry if it's a dumb question. When I replaced my cap (a 50), they don't make them in the same length and girth like they used to, so the new ones don't fit right between the grooves.

7. Back To Top    #7

Does your motor have the "Vee" shaped switch or the spring loaded type switch?
    They usually just get a little sticky. Cleaning the shaft and lightly oiling the pivots usually straighten them out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gtemkin
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimejaime
    Second week, repeat of above, though this time, I used Loctite on the screw
    Just as a side note. Most Loctite style products (anerobic threadlocking adhesives) will cause chemical stress cracking* of plastic parts, so use it sparingly and make sure only on metal to metal. If used, I'd probably let it cure overnight before starting a pump to prevent it from being thrown out onto plastic parts. Loctite makes a specific threadlocker for plastics, Loctite 625 which is actually a super glue style adhesive (cyanoacrylate) which doesn't cause issues.

* Technically it's called Environmental Stress Cracking (ESC)
    Thank you!

I put the gel just on the threads of the bolt, then screwed it back in. Hopefully I didn't touch any part of the impeller or diffuser while doing so...

9. Back To Top    #9

Are the capacitor specs the same?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Does your motor have the "Vee" shaped switch or the spring loaded type switch?
    They usually just get a little sticky. Cleaning the shaft and lightly oiling the pivots usually straighten them out.
    Gosh, I have absolutely no idea. I've never made a point to even notice the switch. What does it look like?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Are the capacitor specs the same?
    The new one I bought is the same power (50), but isn't the same size in length and girth. The old one I had was shorter and fatter. They don't make them that size anymore, just longer and thinner. So, it doesn't fit the same in the grooves, or with the arm that locks it into place.

12. Back To Top    #12

Just an update.

Pool guy came out today. Said the motor was making the classic sound of one that had taken a lot of water.

A few months ago, the mechanical seal went, and I didn't realize it for quite a while. I only say this because by the time I noticed the leak, water was pouring out of the motor, and the band clamp was caked with calcium deposits. I think the motor was slowly failing, hence why I kept frying the capacitor.

When we took the motor off, the inside had dried calcium deposits all over it, and the dry end shaft crank was totally rusted.

So, there you go. Got a new motor. Went for an AO Smith this time.

13. Back To Top    #13

Glad you got it sorted out
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

14. Back To Top    #14

Ya, thanks. Another $240 fix. Between that and the bulkhead needing replacing, it's been a pricey pool month.