Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about return line plumbing...

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about return line plumbing...

I'm in the process of moving my pumping gear as part of a pool renovation. In the pic attached, the existing return line runs from the right, indicated by the red line. It is a 40mm line, and has a tee where it splits to the top and bottom of the pic and their jets. My question is two fold: firstly, is a single line with a T in it sufficient for two returns? It seems to work fine as is but I'm all for improvement if it's there to be had! Secondly, to avoid cutting out more concrete from the surrounds, can I just cut the line from the pump (the short blue line), just above the T, then cut into the branch (arrowed blue line) and either fit a T for the new return (white line) or run tandem return lines (+yellow line) to this point? Anyone see any issues?
    Thanks.
    [attachment=0:1eyhaybs]Return line.jpg[/attachment:1eyhaybs]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    41k litre (11k gal) shotcrete in ground pool, Hayward super 2, Davey Monarch 28, zodiac SWCG
    - undergoing a transformation!
    2nd season Pool Owner. TF-100 testing
    Melbourne, Australia.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about return line plumbing...

What is your goal here?
    Oh wait, I think I figured it out ... you are abandoning the red line going to the right and instead will be supplying the returns through the white/yellow?
    If so, then you would be fine capping off the red line on the right and I would certainly recommend adding both the yellow and white pipes so that you can add a 3-way or two 2-way valves and balance the flow between the 2 returns.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question about return line plumbing...

That's it. Pretty much what I though, thanks!
    41k litre (11k gal) shotcrete in ground pool, Hayward super 2, Davey Monarch 28, zodiac SWCG
    - undergoing a transformation!
    2nd season Pool Owner. TF-100 testing
    Melbourne, Australia.