Ecostar and noise

Maine

Jun 25, 2011
Last week I had our old Anthony bronze head pool pump w/ 2 HP "Centurion" motor replaced with a new Ecostar (SP3400). It was rated for 3450 RPM and with an "Amp SF" of 11, at 230V, but I measured it using around 1.6 KW/power.

The Ecostar has been using a lot less energy - I run it 8 hours day (vs 6 hours with the old pump) at 2200 RPM and only use 500W of power. I run it at 2200 because we have solar which is automatically controlled. So far I'm looking at saving $50/mth with this pump (So Cal Edison, 30c/kWh).

The only downside I've noticed with the Ecostar is that it is a lot louder than the old pump, even at 2200. The noise is definitely higher pitched than the old pump motor as well, but not so much that I'd call it a whine.

I would liken the volume and pitch of the sound heard at 40 feet to that of a neighbor 5 houses down using their weed whacker, with typical intervening residential obstacles (houses, fences). The area where the pump is located is near a fence, and not too far from a corner fence alcove, so that could amplify the noise a bit and help it carry.

I notice this pump also appears to have a fan, and placing my hand over the back of the fan does reduce some of the noise.

Is this normal for the Ecostar?

At 2500 RPM my Ecostar is so much quieter than my old Starite pump and after a month it seems to be saving $40 per month. But my old pump had priming problems, which I only understood recently. But for most of the day I run it at 1300 or 1750 RPM and it is very quiet. I run it at higher RPM only to run facilitate my skimmer and pop up cleaning system

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.