Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: For those with a fountain or waterfall....

1. Back To Top    #1

For those with a fountain or waterfall....

Do you run your fountain all the time? OR do you just run it when you're in the pool or entertaining?

I know that the heat dissipates to some degree when it runs. I was just curious. I chose the latter over the former.
    24x32 feet, In-ground, Saltwater, Gunite pool (under construction)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: For those with a fountain or waterfall....

Depending how much aeration is achieved, running fountains for long periods will likely raise the pool ph quickly requiring frequent additions of MA to lower it and at some point additions of Baking soda to raise the TA that is reduced due to the Muriatic acid additions. Basically you are unintentionally doing this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...l%20alkalinity. My recommendation would be unless you are trying to lower TA, only run the fountains when you want the ambiance or at night to cool the water if it is too hot.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I usually run both, but...I typically do not run my pump for very long each day (about 30-40 minutes or so during and after adding chemicals). If I were to run it longer, I would turn off the spillover fountain by running the pool and spa separately for the reasons linen pointed out. The only exception to this guideline is during freezing weather when I run the pool and spa simultaneously which results in the waterfall occurring. But I usually let pH drift up during winter anyway.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input. I have an electric heat pump which stays on all the time. I didn't realize the effects on balance.
    24x32 feet, In-ground, Saltwater, Gunite pool (under construction)

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a question too...do you leave the fountain on if you are expecting a hard freeze or turn it off? We live in TX and did not plan on "closing" the pool.
    13k gal, IG plaster, Hayward 48 DE 1.0hp, 1994?,w/waterfall, Zodiac MX8 cleaning robot

6. Back To Top    #6

Jan, Welcome to TFP.

Any plumbing that holds water when it's shut off should be turned on when freeze protection runs. So, the fountain should be running.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Both our water features are default "off".
    There is a bubbler in our swim shelf and we turn that on if kids are playing on the shelf, the kids seem to like it. It's also lit, so we will turn it on if we are sitting at the pool after dark, the way the light shines up through the bubbler is very nice.
    We turn the waterfall on if we are sitting around the pool usually during the day (it's not lit yet). It makes a nice peaceful rumbling sound when running.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you! We bought our first house in September and it has this awesome little pool. This site has been incredibly helpful and much appreciated!
    13k gal, IG plaster, Hayward 48 DE 1.0hp, 1994?,w/waterfall, Zodiac MX8 cleaning robot

9. Back To Top    #9

I only run it when we are in it, or for show.
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

10. Back To Top    #10

I uninstall my waterfall pump in the winter....and blow the lines out with compressed air. Saves a bunch of electricity (example...this past ice storm, it would have run for 60-70 hours straight on freeze protect).
    Mike

16.5k IG gunite pool/spa, pebble-tec type plaster, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy 2hp ePump main pump, Jandy 1.5hp Stealth on waterfall, Polaris 280, iAqualink wifi control, Colorsplash LED pool/spa lights

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

In the Industry

I run my waterfall only when neighbors are out and it gets noisy, I believe the best benefit of a waterfall feature, is the noise of the crashing water, your ears are drawn to the nearest noise and background noises become inconsquential.

12. Back To Top    #12

I run two waterfalls daily. I have a SWCG and in combination with the waterfalls it does raise PH quite a bit. With that said, the only chemical maintenance I have is to add MA once a week to keep PH in balance. We love the sound of the waterfalls and if the PH maintenance is the only thing I need to worry about it is well worth the effort. Feel free to turn it off if you are so inclined. I live in the Deep South so we never close our pool. We are outside nearly every day and our pool is close to our home and is a major part of our outdoor living area so we appreciate keeping our pool open year round so we can enjoy it even when we cannot swim. If our pool was not so close to our home I would think differently.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

13. Back To Top    #13

i run mine to block out noise from nearby radios sometimes. my kids love playing in the water. I"m looking for some replacements which have different patterns...no photo handy, but mine are 3/4 inch males that screw into brass females embedded under the lip of the pool. What are these called and where do you buy them?

thanks,
    50K Pool, 50' x 22', IC60 SWC, 6 sprayers, Pentair Racer Cleaner/Side Pump (newly replaced by warranty, thank you Pentair) StaRite System 3 Filter, StaRite Natural Gas Heater, Pebble Tech, cool deck, whisper-flo Pentair Pump, Remote Pentair Intellitouch Technology.
    Thinking about Solar...wanting fewer birds.

14. Back To Top    #14

My spa's waterfall runs daily for a 1/2 hour of the 6 hour pump cycle, I set up a timer to control the valve actuator in my Hayward equipment to do it. This prevents any algae from building up in the plumbing to it. Of course there is always manual control if we desire it at another time.
    I'm a black and white type of guy ... the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
    750 gal fiberglass built in spa with Hayward equipment. Pump is SP3010X15AZ Control is Aqua Plus with a T-cell-3 SWG and a H400FD Heater, Hayward C12002 cartridge filter filter

15. Back To Top    #15

I have mine set to run 5 minutes everyday so the water isn't stagnant and causing an environment for mold/bacterial growth. When I first start them up in the Spring, I can smell a little gnarly smell coming out where there is some condensation occurring over the winter in them and heating up more as they're very close to the warm concrete surface. once the pool is going well, and shocked a bit, this goes away. I have heard where people do not run them for days or weeks at a time, they get funky with bio (funky not being a quantitative measurement of impurity).
    cool.
    Vector
    50K Pool, 50' x 22', IC60 SWC, 6 sprayers, Pentair Racer Cleaner/Side Pump (newly replaced by warranty, thank you Pentair) StaRite System 3 Filter, StaRite Natural Gas Heater, Pebble Tech, cool deck, whisper-flo Pentair Pump, Remote Pentair Intellitouch Technology.
    Thinking about Solar...wanting fewer birds.

16. Back To Top    #16

We usually run both the dolphin mermaid statue and the sheer descent when we are entertaining. They are very loud and usually we are watching TV when we are in the pool and we have to crank up the 5-1 surround too loud
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade