Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Motor Delay

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Motor Delay

Before I start troubleshooting my problem, I'd like to have a starting point. I replaced the motor last year, so I would not consider it old. I usually run it 24/7 during the pool season and usually shut it off during the off season unless to pump it out after some heavy rains.

Just recently, I've noticed some delay when I turn the pump back on when I backwash. The last time I did this it seemed to be a little longer than before (maybe a second). Could this be the motor, or could it be something like the capacitor? I'm not much on troubleshooting electrical issues, but can get through it with good directions.

Any thoughts?
    25,000 gal Plaster; Hayward 1 hp Super II; Hayward Vari-Flo XL Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Motor Delay

Delay as in, it doesn't try to start for a second or two? or it trys but it takes it a second or two to get up to speed?

Is it on a timer or an automation system?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

A small seed pod or such may be binding on the impeller. If you're able to inspect/clean the impeller, check for freedom of movement of the shaft is the place to start. It only take a few minutes and doesn't cost anything.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like it's in a little bit of a bind and then gets up to speed. I will take the pump apart and inspect the impeller first. I have had clogged impellers before, but don't ever remember the "delay" in getting up to speed. It was usually low pressure at the pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

The impeller is clear of obstructions, and spins freely. I started the pump while the pump was pulled apart and the same "delay" occurred. This leads me to an issue with the motor.

Bama, to answer your question, it tries to start and then gets going.

Hopefully it is not the motor going out again...I don't remember it doing this last time it went out, but I realize that it could go out in many different ways.

6. Back To Top    #6

Check the centrifugal switch to make sure it moves freely.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I believe it's all she wrote for the motor. I let it sit for a few hours to see if cooling it down would make a difference. When I went to turn it back on it just "hummed". It heated up quickly (20-30 seconds) and then make a "click", then nothing. I guess I'll be purchasing a new motor.