Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing--Are chlorine tabs needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing--Are chlorine tabs needed

I have been using pool store to close my pool. Have read "Pool Closing" info on TFP& plan on closing in 2-3 wks. I plan on following TFP plan; however havebroken my wrist (cast-6 more wks.) Pool people have usually put chlorine tabs in when closing. Have ordered Polyquat and, if I follow TFP instructions, will I really need these tabs. which have CYA? I don't want to increase CYA unless absolutely necessary.
    16' x 32' vinyl with 8' deep end, appx. 21K gals, 1 hp Water Ace pump, Hayward Vari Flow 75gpm sand filter, 3 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, Dirt Devil robotic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Closing--Are chlorine tabs needed

Tabs are not usually a part of the close procedures as outlined in Pool School ... just wait for the water to get cold enough before you close ... maybe even wait until you get the cast off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Closing--Are chlorine tabs needed

Nope. The most important part of closing is to wait until late when the water is cold.

Last year I only used bleach, brought it up to shock level, and covered it up. No polyquat. Opened early this spring to a clear pool. Only dirt was sediment that fell through my old and weathered cover. Even had FC only slightly below the min for my CYA.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry