Shelf-life of TF-100 kit?

Sep 7, 2013
IL/WI border USA
Sorry if this has been answered several times already. I tried a search, but couldn't seem to find the right search terms to find an answer.

What is the expected shelf life of a TF-100 kit? I live in a northern climate, and we can only use the pool in the summer months. Can a kit purchased now still be used next year? Or is it better to purchase a new test kit when opening the pool next Spring?

Thanks in advance for replies.

The TF-100 has a full 18 month warranty on the freshness of the chemistry from date of purchase.

Stored in a controlled environment, 2 years is plausible....3 years is a BIG stretch......plus I have two kids in college and depend on the refill business for their lunch money. :mrgreen:

Store them in a cool dark place at all times and they will last at least 2 years ... I have one that is over 3 years that still seems to be working fine (I do also have a newer one) ... although I see Dave may disagree with me ;)

techguy said:
Don't some of the reagents have a longer life than others?

Certainly. Like the CYA reagent which is inert. Some of the die-based reagents I think are the first to go bad and the Extended Test Instructions sticky describes what to look for.

Hey Dave,
Question kind of related to the test kit but not exactly. My magnet stirring thing went wacky on me after only a couple of uses. Is there a secret to get it back working? I had one prior to this one that I left with the house when I moved and this was it's replacement. I want my old one back :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
htownjeeper said:
Hey Dave,
Question kind of related to the test kit but not exactly. My magnet stirring thing went wacky on me after only a couple of uses. Is there a secret to get it back working? I had one prior to this one that I left with the house when I moved and this was it's replacement. I want my old one back :cheers:
Define "wacky".
I found that my pill would jump around a bit and after trying new batteries, it stopped.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.