Edited -New Pool - Coping A Mess - Help!

Sep 9, 2013
Hi all - I've edited this post to ask the following:
1. Should I have a mastic/expansion joint separting the "coping" and the rest of the pool deck?
2. How would/could this be fixed?
3. When putting the cantilever forms on, should the cove strip have been used?

This was not a diy.

Hi all - new to posting - but have been lurking and learned much! :-D

We just put in a 16X38 fiberglass pool. The concrete deck and concrete cantilever coping has only been in for three days and the coping is not good. There are waves, edges, nails and plastic tie parts sticking out, etc. To make matters worse, they did not put a mastic joint between where the coping was and the deck.

My question is: can we measure from the front of the pool and go back 13" and cut out the concrete coping and then put in some type of stone coping?

Just about every repair person I spoke with today has told me without a mastic joint it is going to be very iffy/not good. Only two were willing to come look at it and see if it would be doable.

Any advice or suggestions?

Attachments

• pooltile.jpg
    pooltile.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 321
  • fullpoolpick.jpg
    fullpoolpick.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 320
Re: New Pool - Coping A Mess - Help!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
can we measure from the front of the pool and go back 13" and cut out the concrete coping and then put in some type of stone coping?
I think it might be mandatory to do that. There probably should have been an expansion joint in the decking where it rests on the pool wall.

Unless the substrate under the decking has been compacted REALLY well AND you have a "floating" joint between the cantilever and the pool wall, there is a very good chance the decking will crack very close to that point.

A good mason can fix that (with new cantilevered pavers as you suggest) but it likely will not be inexpensive.

We had a contractor do it. It has been one of the worst experiences we have gone through - and we have remodeled and twice - if that tells you anything. At this point, the pool builder who put it in will most likely say "oh, that's normal" if past experience is correct. He was not on the job when it was done and won't be back until the middle of the week. Again, I am going by how our experience has been thus far.

As far as the substrate under the decking, it is 1/2" gravel and they did not compact it at all. It the floating joint the same as the masitic joint that they didn't put in or is that something else? When you say crack at that point - are you talking about where the joints are that they cut in, or where the fiberglass pool underneath the concrete is?

Oh, how I wish I could go back in time! :hammer:

I found another picture! (My son loves to take photos!) This is what it looks like under the concrete. This is by the skimmer.

Will I be able to use a standard coping or will I need to use a remodel coping?

Attachments

• underconcrete.jpg
    underconcrete.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 314

The manufavturer of your specific shell is the best source for what needs to be done. The shell we sell does not need the expansion joint between the deck and shell per the manufacturer. As was said above to do it will get expensive.

outinthegarden said:
Hi all - I've edited this post to ask the following:
1. Should I have a mastic/expansion joint separting the "coping" and the rest of the pool deck?
2. How would/could this be fixed?
3. When putting the cantilever forms on, should the cove strip have been used?

This was not a diy.

Hi all - new to posting - but have been lurking and learned much! :-D

We just put in a 16X38 fiberglass pool. The concrete deck and concrete cantilever coping has only been in for three days and the coping is not good. There are waves, edges, nails and plastic tie parts sticking out, etc. To make matters worse, they did not put a mastic joint between where the coping was and the deck.

My question is: can we measure from the front of the pool and go back 13" and cut out the concrete coping and then put in some type of stone coping?

Just about every repair person I spoke with today has told me without a mastic joint it is going to be very iffy/not good. Only two were willing to come look at it and see if it would be doable.

Any advice or suggestions?

Don't have any suggestions, but just wanted to say I have the same tile and love it.

Mastertile

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.