CYA at 90ppm

Why did you not report the FC and CC then and instead just said 10+ Cl?

Regardless, you should replace 50-60% of the water to lower the CYA. As long as you keep at least a foot of water in the pool everywhere, you should not have any issues with the drain/refill.

jblizzle said:
Why did you not report the FC and CC then and instead just said 10+ Cl?

Regardless, you should replace 50-60% of the water to lower the CYA. As long as you keep at least a foot of water in the pool everywhere, you should not have any issues with the drain/refill.

Sorry ... The FC is 16.5 and the CC is 1.

Brushpup said:
This will be an easy one after the refill.

That's good to hear. I started out with a swamp after opening the pool up months ago. I worked it and it was crystal clear. I made my fatal mistake in not monitoring the CYA and kept adding pucks of triclor a couple of times a week and only monitoring the chlorine and PH :hammer:

Live and learn. This was my first year of maintaining a pool.

All of us started at the same point.....knowing next to nothing about pools.

I have been doing this for pretty close to seven years and I still learn something new from this forum almost everyday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
All of us started at the same point.....knowing next to nothing about pools.

I have been doing this for pretty close to seven years and I still learn something new from this forum almost everyday.

This site is amazing. I have learned a ton and of course still have a lot to learn. It's funny to hear co-workers that say, " ah just keep the chlorine and PH and you don't have to worry about anything else." These are the folks that I used to think knew a good bit about pools.

As for the previous statement that I made saying, "thanks trichlor" .... I can't blame the trichlor .... I put it in!!

I agree. When I opened the pool before summer, it was a green swamp with tadpoles to boot. Seeing it go from green to milky ... to clear was fun to watch. I had hardly any CYA and for some reason thought that I could add those pucks occasionally and be ok after pump to waste when vacuuming and rain ....etc. I was wrong. I will stick to the BBB method. Now I can see the relationship of cya and FC, CC. My free chlorine was only half what was needed with that high CYA.

We're getting there .....
Late last night I measured FC and CC:
FC: 19.5
CC: .5

This morning's numbers:
FC: 16
CC: 0
CYA: 40
PH: 7.5
CH - 100
TA: 60

So I dropped 3.5ppm FC overnight. I'll raise my FC to 20 so hopefully I won't drop below 16 by the end of the day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.