Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need some advices regarding testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Need some advices regarding testing

I finished setting up the pool yesterday and added half a bag of Leslie’s Chlor Brite Granular Chlorine. Also added 2 bags of pool salt (40lbs each) and 1/3 of a gallon jug conditioner. I want to know my salt and the stabilizer level but I haven't order the recommended test kit (TF-100) yet. Should I bring the water to Leslie and have them test it out? or should I just wait till I have the test kit and do it myself?

Also any recommend on where to buy the TF-100 test kit? I can't find it on amazon or ebay (2 sites I usually go for my online shopping lol). As for pool cleaning kit...do I just need a net, brush, and vacuum? My pool is no where near a tree so I don't think will be any leaf or debris falling into the pool so should I just get a brush and vacuum instead? Should I cover my pool all the time except for when using it? or should I leave the cover off and let the sun shine into the pool?

Sorry for all the questions...I am very new at this.
    Intex AG 16ft x 4ft, 5061-gallon
    Cartridge filter-1,500 GPH using it with intex saltwater system CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need some advices regarding testing

Since you know exactly what you've added, you can use the pool calc to figure your levels. You can use them for testing salt since your fill water may have some already.

You can get the TF-100 at www.poolsupplyworld.com or www.tftestkits.net. That's the only places it's sold.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Being that you are in CA ... ordering from PSW will be much faster and cheaper shipping.

Like Dave said, learn to use the poolcalculator.com and you should have a pretty good idea of what your salt and CYA should be when you test ... and do not waste your time going back for the "free" testing ... it is not worth what you pay for it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you for the fast answers guys . I will get the kit today and use the calculator in the mean time then. I hate it whenever I walk in the pool supply store near my area because both times I went in they always trying to sell all the expensive chemicals even though I told them I just need salt and stabilizer. I edited my post so not sure if you guys see this yet:

As for pool cleaning kit...do I just need a net, brush, and vacuum? My pool is no where near a tree so I don't think will be any leaf or debris falling into the pool so should I just get a brush and vacuum instead? Should I cover my pool all the time except for when using it? or should I leave the cover off and let the sun shine into the pool?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by derrickng87
    As for pool cleaning kit...do I just need a net, brush, and vacuum? My pool is no where near a tree so I don't think will be any leaf or debris falling into the pool so should I just get a brush and vacuum instead? Should I cover my pool all the time except for when using it? or should I leave the cover off and let the sun shine into the pool?
    You definitely need a brush, since you'll want to brush the whole thing once a week no matter how good it looks - it's just good maintenance. Probably will want a vacuum, but I would suggest buying one of the cheap manual ones until you know how much you'll use it. You can probably wait on a leaf skimmer/net until you see how much you actually need it.

The cover can be on all the time, but this is another one where you'll have to make the determination for yourself. Cover on will probably reduce chlorine usage, and will definitely cut down on evaporation which will maintain higher temps. However, it will be more of a pain to put on and pull off every time you swim. Not sure if you have a skimmer or not, but I've found that since I've left mine on more this summer, there's more junk that settles to the bottom which requires vacuuming more often.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

If you do not foresee leaves to skim out, then a vac and brush may be all you need ... may want to have a leaf canister on the hose when you vacuum in case something larger ends up getting sucked up.

You can always pick up a cheap net later if you find it would be useful.

During the day, having the cover off will increase the amount of heat from the sun that is added to the pool, although you may have a little higher FC loss. At night though, a cover can lower the heat loss to evaporation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

this site is awesome . Any suggestion on which solar cover and a good place to buy it?

8. Back To Top    #8

Find the cheapest "solar" cover you can as none seem to last more than 1-2 years.

The word "solar" in this case makes no sense to me ... you will actually gain more heat in the water when the sun is shining and the winds are calm with the cover off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I see...I guess I will stick with the regular cover then. Since I use a saltwater system to produce chlorine then do I need to add in more salt often if I leave my cover off?

10. Back To Top    #10

The salt is only lost to splash out / back-washing. It does not evaporate.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

thank you jblizzle and everyone on this forum you guys are really helpful

12. Back To Top    #12

I will add to this from my experience. If you get a cover that streches over the entire top, it can really help hold the heat in at night. This helps a lot during early and late season. I use the summer escapes sold at Walmart for the 18-20' pools. It would work perfect on yours. I do it to keep leaves out, and heat in at night. This year should be our last with any luck at all.

Welcome to TFP! With the purchase of the kit you just made the single best investment possible for your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

Sometimes you can find pool cleaning kits on ebay, etc. which include a manual vacuum, vacuum hose, net and scrub brush, you will then just need to buy a pole locally. Also check out the big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot for these items as they often have them at much lower prices than pool stores.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

14. Back To Top    #14

awesome I ordered the test kit today. I will keep a look out on ebay for the cleaning kit and cover.