I'm new to this board and looking for some help and direction. I am in Arizona and had an inground pool built last year. We had the company that built it service it every week. We had some minor problems last year but this year we've had nothing but problems. The pool would turn green every week and we get algae constantly. The pool is about 15,000 gallons and the pool company puts 2 tabs of chlorine in and 1 cup of shock every week. I know that's not enough and we keep telling them but they refuse to change. They were out this week on Wednesday and my pool was full of yellow algae Thursday night. I fired the pool company and am trying to take care of it on my own but I'm a bit lost. I took the water in to be tested on Saturday morning.
Here were the levels:
Total Alkalinity- 120PPM
Calcium Hardness- 500PM
Cyanuric Acid- 100PPM
Total Dissolved Solids- 100PPM
I don't even know what most of this means except for the fact that there is no chlorine and that the CYA is way too high. I was told that I'm going to have to drain the pool but that it could wait until Winter. On the instructions of the pool store I put in a bottle of Algeacide and a 10lb bucket of shock. I've also filled the chlorine dispensers with 5 tabs of chlorine and ran the filter constantly for about 36 hours. I'm not seeing a difference in the algae yet.
I'm really frustrated because everyone I know who has a pool puts some chlorine in there and never has a problem. We have nothing but problems. I'm sure there's more information that you'll need so just ask. What should I do? Should I keep dumping chlorine in? Should I drain it and start over?