Recommended test kit for Bromine spa

KBWPG

Aug 17, 2013
Hi everyone :wave:
I've been mostly lurking for a while since I found this site, and am so excited to say that we are actually getting a 'real' pool that I can apply what I've learned here! (We had a 15" intex temporary pool previously). We have just put in a 440 gallon hot tub (on Friday, actually). Its a Coast Spa, portable spa (not in-ground or connected to the pool in any way), if that matters. The spa has an ozonator, and our spa dealer has set us up with bromine as a sanitizer. Can't say how often we intend to use the spa, as we just got it set up and have been in it every day so far! I expect the novelty may wear off somewhat, eventually!

We will also be putting in an inground pool (vinyl liner, kidney shaped 16X28 ft, gas heater, cartidge filter) in the next month or so :party: . The pool will have a SWCG, and we intend to use the BBB method for water chemistry/balancing/sanitizing.

We live in the heart of the Canadian prairies, so I am looking to order one of the recommended test kits, and have it sent to a parcel pickup depot just over the border (too expensive to order from Piscines Apollo out of Quebec). I would like to get a kit that allows me to test everything I need to in both the pool and in the spa. Is there one that you recommend that can do both bromine and chlorine (and CYA, and TA, and PH, and CC, etc, etc.)? I really don't want to get two kits.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
KB in Wpg

If you get one of the recommended test kits for pools (see Test Kits Compared), you can use it for your spa as well. For bromine, with the FAS-DPD test the number you use as FC gets multiplied by 2.25 (roughly 2) to get Total Bromine. You don't need to bother with the CC part of the test since monobromamine measures as FC in the test. That's the only difference. You probably won't be needing to use the CYA part of the test, but would still use pH, TA and CH (to get to 120-150 ppm to minimize foaming).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.