Hayward heater error code PF

Jul 3, 2011
My hayward H400 heater fan started running 24/7 a couple of weeks ago and now flashes error code "PF" which is supposed to mean either reversed polarity, low voltage, or improper ground path. The heater has worked fine for two years and no one has changed anything related to the electrical system. Any one else have a similar problem?

For those considering buying Hayward pool equipment consider this: when I built my pool/spa two years ago I had all top of the line Hayward equipment installed - ecostar pump, h400 heater, swimclear 4030 filter, t-15 salt cell, all goldline control vales, pro logic control panel with aqua pod, and led lights. Luckily I received the hayward 3 year warranty as everything was installed by a "Hayward authorized installer" since in two years I have had to replace two water temperature sensors, the salt cell, the control head on the pump, and now the heater is broke. Each time the warranty repairman shows up it costs me $95.00 for the service call (parts are free). Also my salt cell which was replaced in May is doing the same "low salt" reading that it did before the last one went out. And yes, I clean it at least every 60 days. I shutter to think how much this equipment is going to cost me when my warranty ends next spring!

And one other observation - the Hayward user manuals are very poorly written and not user friendly - I have spent countless hours going though them when trying to fix a problem or program my system. The manuals are not written for the non professional and using the equipment can be very frustrating at times.

godsman2000, This is an old thread. For future reference, it might be better to just go ahead and open a new thread especially if the thread you want to reply to doesn't actually have an answer in it. Just food for thought for when you come back. PF code means, Electrical supply wiring error...This code will display if 120V polarity is reversed, low voltage is detected, or if the ground path is not sufficient. Reset is immediate after error is corrected. Have you tried resetting the breaker for the heater to see if the error is cleared? Also, has any work been done on the unit lately?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.