water loss. Evaporation/splash????

cateng

May 30, 2007
Western KY
This is my second year with a pool. I have an 18 X 36 19,000 gallon inground pool. I Live in Western Kentucky where it is very hot and the humidity is high. I am experiencing what seems to be a lot of water loss. Maybe 1" to 2" per week. I dont remember having this issue last year, but I cut down several trees last fall so the pool sees a lot more sunlight. The pool has seen more action this year as well. Could this be an evaporation and splash out issue or do I have a leak? What is normal water loss due to evaporation?

Thanks

Get a 5-gallon bucket of water and place it near the pool. Top off your pool at the same time. Mark/note the water levels on both. Watch to see if the bucket loses water at the same rate as your pool. I just went thru the same thing and it was evaporation. Sun, wind, water temp will all come in to play.

If you don't use a cover, and you have more sun exposure that is certainly normal to lose a lot with evaporation, especially if the weather conditions are "just right" to see evaporation (no rain, warm, arid) plus combine it with swimmers/splash out....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.