Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: will these steps work with my ag pool

1. Back To Top    #1

will these steps work with my ag pool

I found these for sale and the lady said her husband thought these would only work for an inground pool but I think they look like they would work on my above ground pool. they kind of look like grand entrance steps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    27' Swim n Play Mystic II 52" Extruded Resin 17,200 gallons
    Hayward E series high rate sand pump
    Hayward wide mouth skimmer
    Saltron Retro SWG
    Hayward Aqua Critter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: will these steps work with my ag pool

Those should work fine on an AGP as long as it doesn't have a dished bottom.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

They should work BUT they are a magnet for algae! We finally gave ours away as there was nothing we did the stopped the algae.

We took them out and cleaned over and over. We were having to take them out once a week to clean! That is a LOT of work!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

An electric drill and LOTS of 3/4 or 1" holes drilled in those steps are your friends. Did miracles on mine, and gonna get a few more the end of this season too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

And if yer gonna take woodyp's suggestion, a "step" bit, no pun intended is what I'd recommend you use for the holes. If you don't know what a step bit is, just ask the folks at your local hardware store. Irwin brand calls them Uni-bits. They, unfortunately, are VERY expensive(for a drill bit), but will make absolutely perfect holes in plastic with virtually zero effort.
    Mike

18' Sharkline Oceanic
    Gorilla Pad
    Foam cove
    Confer 7200 ladder
    TF-100
    Use DE for your filter? DO NOT use anything but POOL GRADE DE!

6. Back To Top    #6

We have similar steps for our AGP but have no problems with algae. Ours has holes in the sides and at the treads of each step. Our problem is that they float and need weights to hold it down.

Kim, what kind of steps did you use to replace your previous ones?
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Just the plain, boring straight up and down steps. We made sure they had no places for algae to hide.

Our old wedding cake steps had holes in the side from the factory.

BUT now that I think about it they were with my old pool where I was SO pool stored it is not even funny I bet we could have wedding cake steps with TFP.

I think that I saw that some people used large PVC "weights" to hold their steps down. Fill them with sand and close it up and call it good.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks I thought they would work since the bottom of my pool is flat , she said one of the steps is filled with sand to weigh them down and I will drill those holes that is a good idea ! thanks
    Saltron Retro SWG
    Hayward Aqua Critter

9. Back To Top    #9

I looked up the unibits and man are they pricey! Could I not use a new 1 inch bit and get the same results , the bit cost almost what she is asking for the steps! thanks
    Saltron Retro SWG
    Hayward Aqua Critter

10. Back To Top    #10

Here's one that won't break the bank. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FZ2UO ... X110_SY165

I suppose you could use a 1" spade bit, but if it binds up yer gonna have a less than pretty hole, or worse if the plastic has become brittle. The problem with using a "regular" 1" bit is you're not likely to find one with anything smaller than a 1/2" shank. The shank is the part that goes in the chuck of your drill. If you only have a 3/8's chuck, I highly doubt you'll find a large bit that'll fit it. Also, large standard bits are expensive. Most likely as expensive as the step bit in the link I posted.
    Mike

18' Sharkline Oceanic
    Gorilla Pad
    Foam cove
    Confer 7200 ladder
    TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

A paddle bit would work, but a hole saw would work better. A Forstner bit would work too, but they're pricey as well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Good thinking, Dave. Inexpensive hole saw sets can usually be found at Wally World, Lowes, HD, etc, for under $15. The end result will be the same, but not quite as clean.
    Mike

18' Sharkline Oceanic
    Gorilla Pad
    Foam cove
    Confer 7200 ladder
    TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by gillsgonewild
    I looked up the unibits and man are they pricey! Could I not use a new 1 inch bit and get the same results , the bit cost almost what she is asking for the steps! thanks
    http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...lls-96275.html Here is a cheap version from HFT if you have one local or could have it shipped.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

14. Back To Top    #14

A dang old wood bit worked just fine for me. That plastic isn't very thick. Nice smooth holes too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!