Relocating Pool Equipment

Sep 8, 2013
We recently purchased a house with a 14000 in-ground swimming pool. As part of a house remodeling project we are moving the pool equipment away from the house to a better location and replacing the pool pump. Reducing energy consumption and pump noise are priorities for us.

Here is our current system with my proposed changes shown in red:
  • 14000 gallon rectangular pool[/*:m:246om8bv]
  • 1.5 HP Hayward pump [replace with 2-speed or variable speed pump][/*:m:246om8bv]
  • Nautilus NS 36 D.E. filter[/*:m:246om8bv]
  • Return Lines:
    [list:246om8bv]
  • 1.5" PVC[/*:m:246om8bv]
  • 3 return jets[/*:m:246om8bv]
  • 80' from pump to first return jet [shorten to 15' - 2" PVC][/*:m:246om8bv]
  • 24' between each return jet[/*:m:246om8bv]
[/*:m:246om8bv]
[*]Suction Line:
  • 1.5" PVC[/*:m:246om8bv]
  • 1 skimmer[/*:m:246om8bv]
  • 70' from pump to skimmer [shorten to 17' - 2" PVC][/*:m:246om8bv]
  • No drain[/*:m:246om8bv]
[/*:m:246om8bv][/list:u:246om8bv]
I plan to have an electrician run a new 220V circuit out to a subpanel to the area where we plan to locate the pool equipment. I figure we can wire pool light and pool pump from the circuit.
Questions:
  1. Does it make sense to use 2" PVC for the new pipes even though there will remain some 24' of 1.5" PVC between each return?[/*:m:246om8bv]
  2. What's the best pump choice? I've looked at the spreadsheets posted on this forum, but haven't yet had time to analyze the data. Our local utility offers a rebate of $300 for a variable speed pump but the EcoStar costs around $1300 at the local pool supply store. I'm thinking a 2 speed pump might be a better choice.[/*:m:246om8bv]
  3. Any other suggestions, hints or tips on relocating the pool equipment?[/*:m:246om8bv]

Welcome to TFP!

Yes it makes sense to use 2" pipe where you replace it, especially on the suction side.

What is you cost of electricity? Are you limited to buying they pump and installation from a local places to get the rebate? A 2 speed may certainly make sense if you are able to install yourself even with the rebate. You can also likely go smaller than 1.5hp as well.

Btw, you filter is slightly smaller than we would recommend, but likely it should be fine, especially if you have low debris and a shorter season.

jblizzle said:
Welcome to TFP!

Yes it makes sense to use 2" pipe where you replace it, especially on the suction side.

What is you cost of electricity? Are you limited to buying they pump and installation from a local places to get the rebate? A 2 speed may certainly make sense if you are able to install yourself even with the rebate. You can also likely go smaller than 1.5hp as well.

Btw, you filter is slightly smaller than we would recommend, but likely it should be fine, especially if you have low debris and a shorter season.
Thanks for the reply. We have tiered electric rates:
0-500 kwh: $0.074/kwh
500-1000 kwh: $0.121 /kwh

To get the rebate, I have to purchase from a "participating provider" which are local companies (Austin, TX).

I might suggest replacing the single speed pump with a quiet 2 speed before going to the trouble of moving the equipment away from the house and see if that alone lowers the noise level enough, you can always move it and the cost will not be that much different.

Ike

p.s. on the variable speed pump topic, Hayward has recently introduced a couple of smaller less fancy (no remote control) variable speed pumps at a much lower price than most on the market, there are the SuperPumpVS and the Max-Flo VS, these might be good choices if they are on the approved list, if not it might be worth inquiring about since they were just introduced a few months ago

Thanks for the information. Our utility does not list the SuperPumpVS or Max-Flo VS pumps, but I will contact the utility to see if those pumps will qualify for a rebate. What are the main differences between these two variable speed pumps?

The SuperPump and Max-flo are virtually identical ... although the Max-flo appears to have slightly better performance and is actually usually a little cheaper.

Note that these VS pumps are not as programmable / flexible as the larger VS pumps (Intelliflo / Ecopump) and they are not controllable by the Hayward automation systems.

It appears what Hayward did is to take a conventional SuperPump and Max-Flo and fit them with a 1.5 HP? variable speed motor which has a simple controller mounted to it. I forget the exact details but I think it has 3 variables speeds, and sequences through 2 of them on fixed length timer on the first one then stays at the second speed until power cycles (possibly by an external timer), and the other one is quick set manual setting with timer with no provision for remote control, or automation system integration. Display also shows current watt draw.

So you can connect it to an external timer and it will cycle through its high/load speed program

To me it would have made a lot more sense if they would have also integrated an on/off timer, not just a one time through sequence, maybe they will fix that in the next version.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.