150 inch pounds !!!

Mar 5, 2013
Fort Worth Texas
New Hayward ProGrid filter says to tighter the band bolt to 150 inch pounds.
There are no springs over the bolts like the old filter had.
I was looking for a tourque wrench and the ones i can find are all foot pounds .
I think 150 inch pounds is around 12-14 foot pounds ?
The wrenches i found all start at 20 foot pounds ..
What do you use ??

I found a torque wrench at harbor fright ... Had to get a 3/8 inch drive . They go from 5-80 lbs
Filter said 12.5 lbs so i used 15 lbs ..

Yea its not much .. But Hayward attached this big plastic coated tag with steel cable to the bolt ..
WARNING SEPERATION HAZARD Kinda scard me !!!! i had a old Anthoney Apollo blow one time and it Launched like the space shuttle !!!!

ugh, yeah, just went to lowe's and it's 50-250 found pound wrenches. which, kinda glad because those are $75. I think there's a harbor freight on my way home.

I am also resuscitating old threads this week as I do this stuff for the first time.

I used my (only) torque wrench that I had from when I did my own motorcycle maintenance. I bought it at Sears circa 2001. I only had to divide inch.lbs by 12 to get ft.lbs, which was well within the range of my tool. I think I paid about $80 for it back in the day, so it's kind of an expensive option for ensuring "optimum" compression on the filter band clamp. Not sure I would invest in one if I didn't already own it.

And to all of our friends in Europe, Asia, Canada, and Latin America....I'll speak up and apologize for the use of barbaric units in this thread.

:evil:

I can't say I, or anyone I have ever worked around has used a torque wrench on pool equipment. Typically we use 4 types or criteria when tightening a nut or bolt. Barely tight, snug, super snug, or as tight as you can get. Knowing which one to use and where is the trick.. I would just say to get it snug and you should be ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.