Why is my Autopilot Digital Nano unhappy with pump speflow w

Re: Why is my Autopilot Digital Nano unhappy with pump spefl

I'm not sure?? I mentioned the Jandy when I brought this issue up. Maybe doesn't have any on hand...I'm tempted to just buy the Jandy one on my own :|

Do valve go bad often?

I've had one go bad. It happens and having the removable type can really save time and money. Not to mention they work much better on low speed.

The check valve that PB brought over says 2". When I look at Jandy site it states 2" x 2.5" or 1.5" x 2" sizes. I'm not sure which one I would need if I ordered. Would it be the 2" x 2.5" if I have 2" plumbing??

Both will work on 2" plumbing but the 2"/2.5" has slightly lower head loss.

Thanks! Just ordered. Stinks I'm having to pay for this but in the long run it will be much less headache, time and expense should something fail on it.

Did the filter pressure change at all with a change in the check valve?

Also, how many returns do you have going into the pool and what is the diameter of the eyeball opening?

Lovrpool said:
Not sure on type of check valve. Turning pump down to 1000 rpms the psi is 1. Could drastically tell a difference in the flow of the returns when went from 1800 down to 1000. At 1500 rpms it is at 5 psi.

According to this post, at 1500 RPM, the PSI was 5 which is why I thought the check valve could be the issue. So was it 5 or 1.5?

Another thing to try is remove the eyeballs in the returns and see if that helps. You can always get larger eyeballs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Could there be air in the lines causing this? Might try bleeding the air out of the filter and crack open the union above the cell to make sure there isn't any air in the cell.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that there is something wrong with the flow switch because it should be triggering on even at 1000 RPM.

When running at 1000 RPM, the Autopilot check valve (clear under the loop), should be completely closed. Is that what you see?

Yes, the one that is bypassing the loop. That should close when the flow rate gets low so it forces all the water through the cell. It is clear, so you should be able to tell if it is closed or not.

If the flow switch is closed is it still producing chlorine and the digital nano shouldn't be displaying the error "error - purifier off check flow"? Trying to make the correlation between the check flow error and flow switch (opened or closed)?

The manual states it only requires 20gpm to operate. How do I calculate that my gpm?

The flow switch is normally open or off when there is no flow rate. The water flowing past the sensor should turn on the switch and engage the SWG chlorine production. If there is any restriction in the flow switch or it is not installed in the correct direction, then it may not turn on when it is suppose to.

I calculated your GPM based upon the filter pressure and suction side plumbing description. Here is what I estimate as the flow rate for each RPM value you were using:

3450 RPM - 90 GPM
1500 RPM - 39 GPM
1000 RPM - 26 GPM

This is why I think the issue might be with the flow switch or the bypass check valve.

LovrPool, as mark asked, when the pump is turned off, does the manifold base check valve fully shut? You should be able to see the Red Gasket on the inlet side of the check valve. Using the plastic on the screen is the way to clear it out, if there were debris, but you should verify that it is opening upon higher flow, and fully closed when turned off. The Flow switch is actually rated for 15 gpm, and I just feel safer to say 20 gpm, so with the flow characteristics of your varible speed pump, you should have enough flow at 1000 rpm, but it really depends on the actual going through your system.

First, the check valve after the heater is not necessary. There is no residual chlorine generated by the manifold assembly to worry about chemical back flow to the heater.
Second, there is a check valve with a built in flow meter made to retrofit into a Jandy valve. http://h2flow.net/h2flow/index.cfm/prod ... low-meter/
This device will verify what your flow rate is... and personally I think it's cool as heck!
Finally, the flow switch does not usually come out of "calibration" to activate at 20 gpm, but sometimes can get twisted or bent out of shape. It's possible that your PB may be able to swap out the tri-sensor to see if that makes a difference.
Who was your PB (or installer)?

The bypass check valve is closed at lower flow. It was hard to see whether open/closed since it is spring tension but when I turned the pump way up I saw it open up.

I am not sure how much more I can ask PB because he stated when he looked into this the manufacturer states it could range from 1400-1700rpms depending on feet of head and size of pipe. I feel I have exhausted avenues going that route and my only option is troubleshooting myself :(

We did the wrapping the strainer in plastic to flush any debris several weeks ago...didnt help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.