Pentair Intelliflo VF vs VS?

May 3, 2011
PSL, FL
I need to get a new pump.

I am considering the Intelliflo VF. It has been out a while. Should I be looking at another "computerized" pump?

I think I want the VF over the VS. Has there been any issues with maintaining the motor or electronics over the long run?

Have you considered 2-speed pumps? The initial cost is considerably less compared to a variable-speed pump and it is a much simpler design. 2-speeds also have a shorter payback time (initial cost vs. energy savings) in areas where electric rates are $0.20/kWh or less.

With that said, manufacturers are coming out with newer designs on VS pumps. Would suggest reading this article before making a purchase: A Pump Game Changer.

les_garten said:
Has there been any issues with maintaining the motor or electronics over the long run?
Yes but it is generally caused by power surges so you want to make sure the pump is installed on a filtered/protected circuit. If you decide to go that route.

BoDarville said:
Have you considered 2-speed pumps? The initial cost is considerably less compared to a variable-speed pump and it is a much simpler design. 2-speeds also have a shorter payback time (initial cost vs. energy savings) in areas where electric rates are $0.20/kWh or less.

With that said, manufacturers are coming out with newer designs on VS pumps. Would suggest reading this article before making a purchase: A Pump Game Changer.

Hi, pretty sure I want the control of the VF.

I'd like to read that link you have there but it says I am not authorized?

mas985 said:
les_garten said:
Has there been any issues with maintaining the motor or electronics over the long run?
Yes but it is generally caused by power surges so you want to make sure the pump is installed on a filtered/protected circuit. If you decide to go that route.

I do have some surge issues with our power clipping in and out. I'll have to call Florida Power and see if they offer something

Here is the whisperflow wet end still in place. It's glued in.

I may be ordering a VF on Monday. Would you guys just bolt up the VF motor to the old wet end?

If you were going to cut out the old wet end, where would be the best place to cut on my system to put in unions?

Attachments

• P1030155.JPG
    P1030155.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 92
The gist of that article was that Haywood recently released two new VS pumps based off the Super Pump and the Max-Flo product lines. These VS pumps have a lower initial cost than most VS pumps and a lower nameplate HP (1.5 HP vs. the more common 3 HP of most VS pumps). These new VS pumps have the potential to have a lower lifetime cost than many 2-speed pumps in a shorter time period compared to most other VS pumps. Here are two links to Hayward's web site on the VS Max-Flo and Super Pump VS series:

Hayward Max Flow VS

Hayward Super Pump VS

Pentair also has introduced a lower HP VS pump: Pentair Intelliflo i1

The biggest risk on the electronic controls on VS pumps is the risk of electrical surges, as others have pointed out. In Florida, I would definitely look into a surge suppressor / circuit protector of some sort.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.