Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Intelliflo VF vs VS?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Intelliflo VF vs VS?

I need to get a new pump.

I am considering the Intelliflo VF. It has been out a while. Should I be looking at another "computerized" pump?

I think I want the VF over the VS. Has there been any issues with maintaining the motor or electronics over the long run?
    14x30 PebbleTec(Caribbean Blue) 12,000 Gals BORAX
    Pentair IntelliFlo <<>> Pentair FNS Plus DE
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite w/Intellibrite Controller
    ROME Solarium 125 Heat Pump
    Kreepy Krauly Classic <<>> Pentair 320 Feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Intelliflo VF vs VS?

I have been running my VF for 18 months or so, I'm quite happy with it. It hasn't required any maintenance other than emptying the strainer.
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you considered 2-speed pumps? The initial cost is considerably less compared to a variable-speed pump and it is a much simpler design. 2-speeds also have a shorter payback time (initial cost vs. energy savings) in areas where electric rates are $0.20/kWh or less.

With that said, manufacturers are coming out with newer designs on VS pumps. Would suggest reading this article before making a purchase: A Pump Game Changer.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by les_garten
    Has there been any issues with maintaining the motor or electronics over the long run?
    Yes but it is generally caused by power surges so you want to make sure the pump is installed on a filtered/protected circuit. If you decide to go that route.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville
    Have you considered 2-speed pumps? The initial cost is considerably less compared to a variable-speed pump and it is a much simpler design. 2-speeds also have a shorter payback time (initial cost vs. energy savings) in areas where electric rates are $0.20/kWh or less.

With that said, manufacturers are coming out with newer designs on VS pumps. Would suggest reading this article before making a purchase: A Pump Game Changer.
    Hi, pretty sure I want the control of the VF.

I'd like to read that link you have there but it says I am not authorized?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Quote Originally Posted by les_garten
    Has there been any issues with maintaining the motor or electronics over the long run?
    Yes but it is generally caused by power surges so you want to make sure the pump is installed on a filtered/protected circuit. If you decide to go that route.
    I do have some surge issues with our power clipping in and out. I'll have to call Florida Power and see if they offer something

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is the whisperflow wet end still in place. It's glued in.

I may be ordering a VF on Monday. Would you guys just bolt up the VF motor to the old wet end?

If you were going to cut out the old wet end, where would be the best place to cut on my system to put in unions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

The gist of that article was that Haywood recently released two new VS pumps based off the Super Pump and the Max-Flo product lines. These VS pumps have a lower initial cost than most VS pumps and a lower nameplate HP (1.5 HP vs. the more common 3 HP of most VS pumps). These new VS pumps have the potential to have a lower lifetime cost than many 2-speed pumps in a shorter time period compared to most other VS pumps. Here are two links to Hayward's web site on the VS Max-Flo and Super Pump VS series:

Hayward Max Flow VS

Hayward Super Pump VS

Pentair also has introduced a lower HP VS pump: Pentair Intelliflo i1

The biggest risk on the electronic controls on VS pumps is the risk of electrical surges, as others have pointed out. In Florida, I would definitely look into a surge suppressor / circuit protector of some sort.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

If you are comfortable working inside your breaker box, adding a whole house surge suppressor is fairly easy.

http://www.smarthome.com/48716/Intermat ... tor/p.aspx
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanx guys, I'm definitely going to read up on that surge protector. I had a Hayward pump on my last pool, thanx for the info on those.