Got my test kit...here are the results :)

Sep 3, 2013
CYA= 0 (I have a slow leak....all summer been refilling the pool! Bad I know, just haven't gotten around to actually finding it)
FC= 3.5
CC= 0
TA= 80
CH= 100

So I know I need to raise the CYA...my dilemma has been an algae problem. Once I came here to TFP, I switched to the BBB method. Just didn't have the right test kit so I was really guesstimating alot. I SLAMMED the pool, to the best of my ability for the past 4 days. Pool looks great and here I am now.

Really don't want to SLAM again...even though I may not have been exactly at shock level the entire time...the filter has been running since sunday!

So...is it safe now to do the overnight occult test? Can I add CYA and do this all tonight...7:30P EST?

Thanks so much...this site is awesome!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The CYA level will not impact the OCLT.
But with no CYA in the water, you will be losing the FC to the sun very quickly.

You should certainly do the OCLT to determine if you completed the SLAM process. And you should certainly get at least 30ppm of CYA in the water to protect the FC from the sun.

Usually the OCLT is done at SLAM level based on your CYA, but since you do not have any CYA, you should not raise the FC very high. Starting at < 5ppm for the FC, I would hope you would not lose more than 0.5ppm FC overnight.

I'm thinking per the pool calculator, that I need to add 145oz bleach. this will raise my FC to 10 (per my CYA of 0 :))

Also, I am going to add the CYA today...can someone post the link on how to do this, I cant seem to find it. I remember something with a sock :roll:

One thing is confusing me though...If I have a CYA of 0 my FC will drop quicker during the day, correct? Why does it seem then like when you have a higher CYA you add more chlorine. Wouldn't you want to add more with less CYA to cover your excessive loss? I think I must be missing something, lol.

Thanks everyone :)

mjminto said:
I'm thinking per the pool calculator, that I need to add 145oz bleach. this will raise my FC to 10 (per my CYA of 0 :))

Also, I am going to add the CYA today...can someone post the link on how to do this, I cant seem to find it. I remember something with a sock :roll:

One thing is confusing me though...If I have a CYA of 0 my FC will drop quicker during the day, correct? Why does it seem then like when you have a higher CYA you add more chlorine. Wouldn't you want to add more with less CYA to cover your excessive loss? I think I must be missing something, lol.

Thanks everyone :)
Add the CYA first. SLAMing with a CYA of 0 will be very hard to do, because you're walking a thin line between SLAMing and doing damage to the pool.

Add enough CYA to bring you up to 30. Put granular CYA in an old athletic sock or nylon stocking, and hang it in front of a return. Give it a good squeeze as often as you can and it will dissolve fast. CYA will take awhile to show up on the test, so don't bother, just assume it's in there as soon as you put it in there. Adjust your pH to 7.5, then start SLAMing, and use 13 as your FC minimum.

Stabilizer is a buffer for chlorine. There are plenty of analogies floating around out there, but basically the stabilizer protects chlorine from the sun to keep it from breaking down. By doing this, it renders some of the FC unavailable for cleaning duties. The more CYA in the pool, the more FC must be in the pool in order to get the same "cleaning power." Too little CYA and sunlight breaks down the FC before it can do any work in the pool. Too much CYA, and it's so well protected from the sun, it can't be "released" to kill algae/bacteria/etc.

So I turned the filter off last night after about 8 hours of running. Test results at that point were:
FC 10
CC 0
CYA 30 (I used the liquid stabilizer I already had)

This morning these are my results:
FC 6.5
CC 2
TC8.5

Water still looks great....What do I do? As I mentioned before, filter has been running far too long before this. Really cant afford to keep it going. Can I add my bleach to raise my FC and run the pump for say 6 hours today?

Water still looks great....What do I do?
Re-read the SLAM process. It will tell you the SLAM is complete when....

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

You failed two out of the three so the SLAM is not complete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I thought I did pass...the night before I did the overnight OCLT test and only lost .5.... I also had 0 cc.

This is the following day....it is also the first time in a week that I did not let my filter run for an entire 24 hours. I really should not have to run my filter that much....right.?!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.