Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 or 2 pumps?

1. Back To Top    #1

1 or 2 pumps?

Hi,

Still at the drawing board here on the new pool. I asked for a 3rd sheer descent from 2. The builder is now saying I need to go from a single 2 HP (which would have powered everything from the filter, vacuum, and 2 descents) to another pump. I would have a 1 1/2 HP to filter and vacuum my 400 s.f. pool. I would have another 1 1/2 HP to power 3 18" sheer descents (may go to 3 24" descents). I talked to the project manager and he suggested I go to a 2 HP pump for the 3 descents as he thinks the 1 1/2 HP for the falls may not be enough and it's good to have more pumping power and the cost of the pump is only $100 more and power consumption won't be much more since I am not going to be running all that much in reality.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Doug
    13,500 Gallon Gunite Aggregate Finish, DE, SWG, 2.0 HP pump, 1.0 HP pump for 3 Sheer Descents

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1 or 2 pumps?

Electricity wise, you are always going to be better off with a single pump. For simple filtration / vacuuming, a 1.5HP is way bigger than you need as a 3/4-1HP would be fine (cheaper to buy and run). But, then you will still have 2 pumps to worry about.

You could consider a single 2.5HP 2-speed pump which is run on low for filtration and only on high for vac/shears.

Or maybe a better option would be to get a single large VS pump (Ecostar or Intelliflo) that could run all the shears on a high speed (which you could dial in for adequate flow) and run on very low speeds for vacuuming.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Jason. When you have water features and are uncertain as to the size of pump you may need, the best option is to go with a VS so you can adjust for the lowest flow rate possible and the lowest energy use possible.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys.....that sounds great and I agree, but my pool builder is saying a 2 HP will not be enough power for three falls, filter, and vacuum.....he was fine with 2 falls. So, it seems I am stuck with getting two separate pumps if I add the third fall. And again, the filter pump will run about 6-8 hours a day at 1 1/2 hp.....about 60-75 dollars a month. The falls will only run when I am out there.....about 6 hours a week....at most! I did like the vs option as I could dial it down......oh, here's another wrinkle.....I am probably going with salt.....my understand is you can't benefit from a vs pump because the salt won't generate chlorine at a lower setting.
    13,500 Gallon Gunite Aggregate Finish, DE, SWG, 2.0 HP pump, 1.0 HP pump for 3 Sheer Descents

5. Back To Top    #5

SWGs can operate down to 15-20 GPM so low flow rate is not an issue. There are plenty of people operating a SWG with a VS pump so I am not sure where you heard that but it isn't true. I use a SWG on low speed of a 1/2 HP pump.

But if you do go with two pumps, I would go with a low HP two speed (3/4 HP) for just the pool and a higher HP for just the water features. There is no sense in having a high HP pump for pool circulation.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

You know there are pumps bigger than 2hp right? The intelliflo is 3hp so should be able to run everything just fine if the plumbing is done correctly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!