installed PoolCleaner, now lots of air in pump basket

Hi All,

I recently installed the PoolCleaner using the blue rubber adapter and regulator valve and supplied hoses. When the pool pump is on, it's much louder and noisier and there's a lot of air in the pump basket. With the PoolCleaner unplugged from the skimmer (no dedicated vacuum port) the pump is not as loud or noisy and but there are few quarter sized air bubbles in the pump basket. I'm pretty sure there's an air leak somewhere. Is it normal for the PoolCleaner to cause more air to be sucked into the pump? I've checked to make sure the adapter plug is submerged in water and the PoolCleaner is doing it's vacuum thing? This is the 4 wheel version if it makes a difference.

More than likely you are restricting the flow too much and starving the pump of water. If your pool drain is plumbed through the skimmer or you don't have a drain, you need some method to allow water to get to the pump without going through the cleaner hose.

Suction side cleaners always add more suction head to the pump and exacerbate a weak spot and cause it to leak where it wouldn't without the vacuum hooked up.

Since you're using the regulator, do you have it set correctly?

Have you cleaned and lubed the pump basket lid seal?
Remove and reseal the drain plug too.
If that doesn't solve it then run water over the suction side plumbing while the vacuum is running and see if the air lessens or stops.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.